Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Chapter 249

“What did he say?”

Tori gave her mother a rundown of her conversation with Richie a few days earlier. Helen was trying to be fair and objective, but her heart ached for her daughter’s pain and her hands itched to wrap around her son-in-law’s neck.

“Do you believe him?”

Tori sighed. “I don’t know. I want to, but….it doesn’t match what his mother told me.” She relayed that conversation as well. “So, either she’s wrong or he’s lying. Again.”

“Or he’s just not telling you the whole story.”

“Same thing.”

“No. It’s not. He may not even be aware himself of the real reason he wanted to give Heather another chance.” She hesitated, but had to say it. “Honey, you need to think long and hard before you make a decision. The choice you make is going to affect the rest of your life….and Peanut’s. You have to think about the baby as well as yourself. Peanut needs a father.”

“Are you saying that I should go back to him? Forget that he lied and broke his promise to me and just go back?” Tori was astounded.

“No, if you decide that there’s no hope, that you can’t believe him or trust him ever again, that you just can’t make it work, the family – all of it – will help you and the baby with anything you need. But raising a child alone isn’t easy – for the parent or the child. Look, all I’m saying is think carefully and make sure your decision is one that you can live with. I don’t want you to stay in a marriage that’s full of lies and makes you miserable, but I don’t want to see you throw away everything you’ve built over the past year and the happiness you had if there’s a chance you could have it again.” Helen explained. “We will support you, whatever your decision, all I’m asking is that you take your time and think it through very carefully. Let your emotions – and your hormones – settle a little before you make up your mind. Don’t rush into anything.”


“She’s right you know.” Karin told her friend after Tori had filled her in on her recent conversations, ending with her mother.

“I know.” Tori was sitting on Jon and Carol’s porch, looking over the back yard, phone in hand.

“Has Richie called again?”

“Yesterday.”

“And? Does he have a better explanation?”

“No, it’s always the same story.”

“Either he’s too stubborn to come up with a better one, or…..he’s telling the truth.”

Tori agreed. “Yeah, but which one?”

“You know him better than I do. What’s your gut telling you?”

“To believe him. But I can’t tell for sure whether that’s gut instinct or wishful thinking. His story doesn’t match with what Joan told me.”

Karin didn’t know what to tell her. “Then wait until you’re sure. There’s no time limit here.”

“No, just a limit to how much of this wondering and debating I can take.”



“I don’t know how much of this wondering and waiting I can take.” Richie admitted to Jon. “It’s driving me crazy!”

“You’ll take as much as she wants to dish out. You’re the one who fucked up here, so suck it up. You’re lucky she’s even talking to you. Actually, you’re lucky you can talk, period. If she’d let me have my way, you’d be eating through a straw.” Jon watched his brother-in-law pace the confines of his office. “Have you seen her yet?”

Richie winced and shook his head. “I’ve talked to her on the phone, but she doesn’t want to see me yet. She doesn’t even know I’m in Jersey.”

Jon’s brows rose. “And you’re not pushing? That’s not like you. Normally you’d be over there whether she wanted you there or not.”

Richie grimaced. “Believe me I want to, but I’m afraid to push. If there’s going to be any chance of her coming home it’s got to be on her terms. You said it. I’m the one who fucked up, so I have no say in any of what happens now. She’s in control. What she says goes. Besides, I’m afraid of what upsetting her any more will do to the baby. All I can do is take whatever time she’ll give me and continue to plead my case.” He dropped into a chair and cradled his head in his hands. “I can’t lose her Jon.”

“Honey, I’m going to…..” Dorothea stepped into the room and stopped, her eyebrows snapping together. “What’s he doing here?”

Richie quickly stood up and backed away, hands lifted defensively. “Now Dot, I can explain.”

“I’ve heard your explanation.” She advanced towards him. “And I don’t buy it.”

“Don’t injure him too badly honey, Tori wants him to still be able to play.” Jon reminded her.

“A few bruises won’t prevent him from playing.” She stopped in front of Richie and had to fight to hang on to her anger. He had lost weight, his face was drawn and his eyes were dark and haunted. He looked like shit. “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t use you for a work out dummy?”

He sighed. “I know I fucked up. If I could undo it all I would. But I can’t. All I can do is keep telling her how sorry I am and do whatever I have to to convince her to give me another chance.”

“And is Heather still in the picture?”

“Only as Ava’s mother. I told her that there could never be anything more between us.”

“And you think that she’s just going to accept that?” Not the Heather I know. Not in a million years!

“Yes, I think she will. She’s different since the therapy. She’s….softer, gentler…kinder.”

Dorothea snorted. “If you say so.” She looked at him and sighed. “When was the last time you ate?”

He shrugged. “This morning or lunchtime, I don’t remember.”

“How about sleep?”

He laughed shortly. “What’s that?”

“Well, you’d better avoid the vultures. If they see you they’ll have you back on the bottle, or drugs or both. You look like shit.”

“Gee, thanks Dot. It’s good to know I look as good as I feel.”

“Don’t look to me for sympathy. You brought it on yourself. You should have seen Tori a few weeks ago.”

“I know. Is she better then? Is the baby okay?”

“The baby’s fine. She’s a little better, although all this stress isn’t good. Carol’s making sure that she eats properly, but I don’t think she’s sleeping all that well. Of course when you reach the eight month, you don’t sleep well anyway.”

“I should be there to help her!” Richie growled in frustration.

“Yeah, well, you should have thought about that before you decided to take a trip down memory lane.”

“I’ll never forgive myself if something happens to her or the baby.”

“Don’t worry about that.” Jon assured him. “We’re making sure they’re both looked after.”

2 comments:

Mystery Train said...

I loved Dots reaction when she saw Richie!! I thought she was gonna knock him out!! Another great chapter!!

JohnnaJovi said...

Dot Rocks! I know she wanted to attack Richie! I think she should have, but, she was the better person! Can't wait for another chapter!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.