Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Chapter 243

In New Jersey that feeling was echoed by several of Tori’s family members.

“What the hell happened?” John Sr. asked his eldest son.

“All I know is that she believes that he’s still in love with Heather. She wouldn’t tell me anymore.” Jon replied.

“She wouldn’t.” Dorothea agreed. When they looked at her she explained. “From the very beginning she was concerned about even getting involved with Richie. She was afraid that if things went sour it would cause problems between the two of you. She was determined that she would not be responsible for that happening.” She watched her husband pace the room. “When are you going to get her?”

“She begged me not to. She wants to be alone for awhile.”

“Even with the baby coming?” Carol asked.

“She said that there’s a hospital there, and that she’ll be fine.”

“Oh she’ll be fine, but she’ll be here.” John Sr. confirmed. “She may have asked you not to go, but that doesn’t apply to me. I’ll give her another week, then I’m going to get her.”

The phone rang. Jon looked at the display and blew out a breath before he answered it.

“What the hell’s going on Rich? Why is my very pregnant sister alone on the other side of the country from her husband?”

“Let me talk to her.”

“I can’t. She’s not here.”

“What do you mean she’s not there?”

“Just what I said. She’s….not….here.” Jon bit out. “Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t hop the next flight out there and beat some sense into you.”

“Where is she? She’s not at her parents or Karin’s and if she’s not with you, where did she go?” Richie demanded. He hadn’t been concerned about her safety because he’d assumed she’d gone either to her parents or to Jon. “Have you talked to her?”

“I’m still waiting to hear a reason.”

“What? Oh, because I’m the father of her child?”

“So? The family will look after both of them. Not good enough. Is she right? Are you still in love with Heather?”

“You have talked to her! Where is she? Is she alright? How’s the baby?”

“The baby’s fine. I’m not sure you have any right to any other answers.”

“Dammit man, tell me where she is!”

“You answer my question first. Is Tori being hormonal or is she right? Are you still in love with Heather?”

“No! Not the way she thinks anyway.”

“Then why does she think that you are?”

“Because she saw pictures of Heather and I kissing.”

“I take that it was more than a friendly mother-of-my-child kiss?”

“Yes.” He admitted. “And when she asked me about them, I couldn’t lie.”

“What the hell did you do Rich?” Jon’s grip on the phone tightened as he fought to keep his temper from exploding.

Richie sighed. “I fucked up. Heather has been contacting me again about her problems. She told me that she was feeling a whole lot better. That her therapy was really helping. A couple months ago she told me that she realized that she’d made a huge mistake. That she realized how horribly she’d treated me and that she still loved me and that she wanted to try again. I’ve been meeting with her, talking, to decide what I really wanted.” He hesitated. “I love Tori,….but Heather was my first real love. We had a good thing for a long time. It tore me up when she ended our marriage, but a part of me still loved her, and probably always will.”

“So you broke my sister’s heart for what? A bit of nostalgia? A little fling for old times sake?”

“No! It wasn’t like that. I had to be sure. I love Tori, but I had to be sure of where my heart was at. For her sake as well as mine. I didn’t want there to be any regrets. No ‘what ifs’. I had hoped to have it all sorted out before she found out. I didn’t want to hurt her any more than I had to.”

“Well, that worked well.” Jon’s sarcasm was cutting. “And are you sure now?”

“Yes! Tori’s the only one I want, and the only regret that I have is that I hurt her so badly while I was trying to sort out my feelings.” He paused. “Jon, I know I have a lot to make up for, and that she may not believe me or forgive me, but I have to try.”

“So call her. She has her cell.”

“I’ve tried. I can’t get through. I think she’s blocking my calls.”

“Then I guess she’s not ready to talk to you yet.”

“I can’t accept that. I have to talk to her. I need to talk to her. You gotta help me man. I…I’m lost without her.”

Jon frowned. “Have you been drinking?” If anything would cause a relapse, his pregnant wife leaving him would probably do it.

“No. I won’t deny I’ve thought about it, but I know now that it won’t help.” He’d thought about it, but there was no point. No amount of alcohol would dull this pain.

“Why did you just let her walk away? Didn’t you try to stop her?”

“Shit Jon, she’s six months pregnant! She was upset enough. I didn’t want to put her blood pressure – and her hormones - into the stratosphere. I thought I’d let her calm down first and then try to explain it to her. I hadn’t counted on her cutting off all contact. Are you going to help me try to fix this?”

After a long silence, Jon sighed. “She’s in Savannah. I can’t make any promises, but I’ll talk to her.”

“Thanks man.”

“Don’t thank me. I’m doing it for her, not you. You, I’d like to skin alive with a dull knife for being so stupid and hurting her so badly. But she asked me not to take sides. You might want to stay away from my wife, my dad and my brothers for awhile though. She hasn’t handcuffed them yet and to say that they’re pissed would be putting it mildly.”

Richie nodded. He hadn’t expected anything else. “And the guys?”

“You’re safe from Shirley. Tori told Charlie to keep him leashed. The Cubano is still loose though as far as I know.”

“Jon, I have to ask. How come you’re not going Bongiovi on my ass? I expected ranting, raving, swearing, threats to certain parts of my anatomy….how come you’re so calm?”
“Oh, I’ve been doing all of those things. Don’t think I haven’t,…but…” He sighed. “…Tori doesn’t want to be the cause of problems between us and I’m trying to give her that. I don’t want to add to her burden. You’ve done enough of that for both of us. Besides I want her to be happy, and until all this shit with Heather, you were doing a good job of making her happy. And I know how much she helped pull you through that mess last year. You’re good for each other. I’d like to think that you can work this out, at least I think you both deserve the opportunity to try. But Rich, so help me God, if you cause her any more pain, I’ll use your guts for guitar strings, your teeth for piano keys, and make sure that the family jewels you’re so proud of get reset and resized – and I don’t mean bigger!”

Richie winced. “I hear ya, and I wouldn’t blame you. Believe me man, I don’t want to hurt her anymore. I promise I’ll do everything I can to make her happy, if she’ll just give me the chance. I know how badly I fucked up. All I’m asking for is a chance to make it up to her, and prove to her that I mean it, and that it’s worth taking the risk.”

“It’s not me you have to convince.”

“I know. But I can’t convince her if she won’t talk to me.”

Hanging up the phone, Jon stared out the window for a moment, then slammed his hand against the wall. “Dammit!”

Dorothea smiled sympathetically. “You really want to tear him apart don’t you?”

He nodded and blew out a breath. “Yes, but he’s also my best friend.” He glanced around at his family. “This really sucks. I want him to be happy, but how can I ignore the pain he’s caused her? How could he be so stupid?” Everyone wanted to know the answer to that one.

“I know it’s hard honey, but you’re going to have to abide by her wishes. We’ll be here for her and help her any way we can.” Dot rubbed his back. “We’ll get her through this.”

1 comment:

JohnnaJovi said...

I am so SHOCKED that Jon didn't go BONGIOVI on Richie! I know he thought about, but, it's his sister that he loves and I am surprised that Jon is helping Richie. I gotta give Jon credit because he wants to help Richie get Tori back into his life!

I want more! LOL!!!!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.