Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chapter 230

A week and a half later, the guys were taking a break from the studio. Richie and Jon were sitting in the den relaxing, David was in the next room talking to Karin on the phone, and Tico was still out in the studio with his tech working with a new kick pedal. Jon had started for his office, but found it had been taken over by Tori who was trying to sort out a contractual problem with a t-shirt supplier.

“So what if we take it up half a step?” Jon suggested.

Richie frowned. “Maybe, but I think we should try changing the key first. If we switch from E to A, I think the riff will flow better.”

Suddenly, Tori’s raised voice could be heard down the hallway. “NO! Once again, you do NOT need to talk to Jon about this, you need to talk to ME! I’m fully capable of dealing with this….I understand…..listen, the only one that Jon’s going to yell at about merchandise is me.”

Jon snorted. “Even I’m not that brave!” Richie crooked a brow at him. Jon pouted. “She gets Dorothea and Mom on her side and I’m in the dog house again.” Richie laughed.

“NO! Look, Jon brought me in to head the merchandizing team for a reason… so that he wouldn’t have to deal with it and he could focus on the music…..as I told you earlier, and yesterday, and the day before, I have complete authority over the merchandise! Okay, all that aside, the Van Nuys warehouse is expecting the first shipment on the 23rd. Is it going to be there?” Tori’s voice was getting closer as she moved down the hallway. “Oh for…..I assure you I have full authority! If you don’t believe me take a look at who signed the damn contract! You know what? I’ve had enough! If you keep trying to blow me off like some fresh from school intern who can be pushed around, I’ll guarantee you that this will be the last contract you get with this organization! You may think that you’re the only fish in the sea, but I know better! I’ll bring the shirts in from Canada if I have to….oh no, I’ve dealt with several companies there that can provide the same quality product for about the same price, so don’t try to snow me. Oh yeah? Try me! For the last time YOU DON’T NEED TO TALK TO JON! But if you don’t deliver the order on time and for the price YOU agreed to, you’ll be talking to our lawyers when we sue you for breach of contract!” She snapped the phone closed.

Jon and Richie exchanged looks. Jon grinned. Richie snorted. “Yep, definitely your sister!”

“Talk to me like I’m female, therefore I’m stupid will you?” Tori was grumbling to herself as she passed the den and headed for the kitchen. “Arrogant, chauvinistic prick!”

David appeared about a minute later. “Where’s Bela?”

“In the kitchen.” Richie replied. “But..”

He turned to follow her.“Hey Bela, Karin wanted me to ask how you and Damien are doing today. Have you ever thought about an exorcism?”

“You don’t want to do that Shirley!” Jon and Richie warned him in unison.

David quickly returned, his eyes wide, and stumbled to a chair, a stunned expression on his face. “She growled at me! She actually growled at me!”

“We tried to warn you.” Jon shrugged.

“Yeah, but…she bared her teeth and growled at me! I was seriously looking for fangs!”

“If it makes you feel any better, it’s not you that she’s really mad at.” Richie offered.

Tori stomped in and threw a dish towel at David. “You’re an ass!”

“Angel.” Richie cut her off before she said something she’d regret later. “Did I ever tell you how beautiful you are when you’re angry? Your eyes sparkle like sapphires.”

She turned on him, but the love and understanding in his dark eyes dispelled her anger. She felt drained, and horribly guilty. Eyes filling, she walked over and sat on Richie’s lap, curling into him. His arms came up to hold her, one hand rubbed her back. She sniffed. “Sorry Shirley.”

David quickly waved away the apology and sent the other two men a pleading look. Jon smirked. “So Rich and I were talking about maybe changing the key or taking it up a half a step. What do you think?” With a relieved look, David latched onto the conversational bit and ran with it.

Tori settled against her husband and let the men’s conversation flow around her, while she let Richie’s scent and the comfort he was providing soothe her. When his hand paused in its rubbing she nudged him. He grinned down at her and set his hand in motion again. Dorothea came in and handed her a cup of tea. “Thanks.” Dorothea just nodded, gave Richie a sympathetic pat on the shoulder and left the room.


Several hours later Richie wandered the house looking for his wife. Peeking in the theatre he found Jake watching Cars. “Hey buddy. Have you seen Aunt Tori?”

Jake frowned in thought, then nodded. “She went outside awhile ago.”

Detouring to grab his jacket out of the closet, Richie headed out the back door, but was surprised to find the bench empty. Glancing around while he thought, the studio caught his eye and he turned in that direction. He could hear her as soon as he opened the door. Even at this stage her guitar style was easily recognizable to him. A frown creased his forehead as he climbed the stairs, etched by the feeling of sadness and frustration that she was expressing with each pass of pick over strings.

He stood in the doorway for a long minute studying her, then pulled a stool up beside her and sat down. “What are you doing out here?”

“Staying away from people.”

“What’s wrong angel?”

She looked at him with sad eyes full of self disgust. “How can you be so patient and understanding with me? I’m a basket case! Tears one minute, biting someone’s head off the next. How can you even stand to be around me?”

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders and hugged her close, pressing a kiss to her temple. “Because I love you. I know you’re having a hard time, but it’s only temporary. You’ll survive it. We all will. I told you before, it’s normal. And it’s not that bad.”

She snorted. “Not that bad? Richie, I just about tore a strip off of Romeo a few minutes ago! A four year old! I had to make myself walk away! You had to stop me from taking a chunk out of Shirley earlier for just being his usual smartass self.” She shook her head. “I can’t seem to control it. How am I going to make it another five and a half months?” She leaned against him, tucking her head under his chin.

He rested his cheek on her hair. “Oh honey, everything’s going to be okay. You’ll make it just fine. I’ll help you. I’ll be your rock. Lean on me and we’ll get through it. Maybe you should talk to Dorothea about how she handled it. She might have some ideas about how to control it a little.”

She sniffed and nodded. “I’m sorry I’m putting you through all this.”

He leaned back and lifted her chin so that he could see her eyes. “Don’t angel. You’re not putting me through anything.”

Her eyes filled again. “You’ve been so wonderful about everything. I don’t deserve you.”

“I think that you’ve got that backwards angel. It’s me that doesn’t deserve you. But I will be forever thankful that your mine. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

He kissed her gently. “Feel better now?”

She blew out a breath. “A little.”

“Uncle Richie? How about a guitar lesson? Oh, are you okay Aunt Tori?” Jesse gave his aunt a concerned look.

She managed a smile. “I’m fine Jesse. It’s just….”

“Hormones?” He finished for her. She nodded. He sighed. “Yeah, I remember with Mom….it was like Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde…you never knew who you were going to get.” He shrugged. “At least it was never boring.”

“That’s for sure.” Richie laughed and hugged her. “Is your homework done?” Jesse nodded. “Okay then, grab a stool.”

Tori started to stand, but Jesse stopped her. “Will you play with us?”

“You really want me to?” He nodded. She smiled. “Sure. I’d like that.”

For the next two hours Tori was able to forget about her unpredictable mood swings and just relax.

1 comment:

johnnajovi said...

Aw, poor Tori-The pregnancy hormones have kicked in! Richie loves her so they will pull thru! I can't wait til the baby comes! I am so excited!

Great Chapter! Can't wait to read more!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.