Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chapter 242

A week later, Tori was walking along the beach near Savannah when her cell phone rang. She pulled it out of her pocket, checked the number and sighed. She guessed she should be thankful that he’d left her alone this long. She debated about answering, but knew he would only keep calling until she did.

“Hello.”

“What the hell is going on Tori?”

“Hi Jon, I’m fine thanks, how are you?”

“Bullshit! If you were fine, you’d be home in L.A. with your husband, preparing for the birth of your child instead of…where the hell are you anyway?”

“Savannah. I always wanted to visit here. It’s a very beautiful historic city. You should see it, the magnolia’s are in full bloom. It’s quite a sight and the scent is heavenly. And the food is great.”

“And why are you on the other side of the country from where you belong?”

“I don’t belong there anymore.” She swallowed hard. “He doesn’t want me Jon. He’s still in love with Heather.”

“Don’t be silly! Of course he wants you! As for Heather, she’s Ava’s mother and he wants to keep on friendly terms, but he’s not in love with her.”

She sighed. “Yes he is Jon. He as much as admitted it.”

There was a long pause. “Son of a bitch! I’ll skin him alive!”

“No you won’t. You’ll leave him alone.”

“Like hell! I can’t just stand by and let him hurt my sister like that without doing…something!”

“Yes you can or you’ll never see me again. This is between Richie and me.”

He sighed. “Come to New Jersey. Or better yet, I’ll come and get you.”

“Thank you, but no. I’m going to stay right here.”

“Tori…”

“NO Jon!” She took a deep breath. “I appreciate the offer, but I’m fine.”

“What about the baby?” He tried a different tack.

“There are hospitals here you know.” She responded dryly.

“So you plan to go through this alone?”

“I’ll let you know when the baby’s born.”

“Why won’t you let me come get you?”

“I swore I’d never come between you. I meant it. I don’t want you taking sides.”

“But you’re my sister!”

“And he's your best friend and I’m asking you to stay out of it. Please Jon! Just let me try and find some peace and figure out what I’m going to do with the rest of my life.”

Another long pause. “Do you need any money?”

She snorted. “No. He keeps putting some into my account.” He knew she’d refuse to touch the household account she had access to.

“And what does that tell you?”

“That he wants to make sure that the baby and I are taken care of. I never said he didn’t live up to his responsibilities or that he didn’t care about me. He just loves her more.”

Jon sighed. “What am I supposed to tell him when he calls?”

“That I’m safe and that I’ll be just fine.”

“Can I tell him where you are?”

“If he wants to know. I’m not hiding. I just need to be by myself for awhile.”

“Okay. Take care of yourself Tori. Call if you need anything.”

“I will. Thanks Jon.”

She knew she’d better call her mother before she heard about it from the gossip rags. Finding a pretty spot, she sat down on the sand and stared at the phone in her hand. She didn’t know what to say. She took a deep breath and dialled.

“Hello.”

“Hi Mom.”

“Tori! How are you? Is everything okay? Did Richie tell you I called yesterday?”

“I’m fine Mom, and no he didn’t tell me you called. I…I’m not in L.A.”

“What do you mean, you’re not in L.A? Richie didn’t say anything about taking a trip. Should you be traveling this close to your due date?”

“Mom.” She interrupted her mother’s flow of words. “I’m in Savannah. Alone.”

“Alone?” Helen digested what Tori hadn’t said. “What happened honey?”

For the first time since she left L.A., Tori found herself fighting back tears. “He went back to his ex-wife.” She tried to laugh. “I guess I’m just not meant to be married.”

“Come home.”

“No. At least not yet. I need some time to sort things out and figure out what to do next. Besides, Richie wants the baby born in the U.S.”

“I guess I can understand that. We can always get him or her dual citizenship here later.” Helen paused. “Then at least go to New Jersey. You should have family around in case you need anything. Especially when the baby comes.”

Tori smiled. “You and Jon! I’ll be perfectly fine here. There are plenty of good doctors and a hospital close by.”

“There’s such a thing as being too independent you know. Don’t let your pride interfere with your health – or the baby’s.”

“I won’t Mom, I promise. I just want to be by myself for awhile.”

“Okay, but check in often please so I don’t worry and lay awake at night picturing you lying dead in alley somewhere. And call as soon as you even think you’re in labour! Or when you’re ready to talk about what happened.”

“I will Mom, I promise.”


Hanging up Tori blew out a breath. One more call to make.

“Hello.”

“Hi Karin, it’s me.”

“Hey Tori how’s our little mother-to-be? Coping with the heat and smog of L.A. alright?”

“Actually, I’m not in L.A. I’m in Savannah.”

“Aren’t you a little close to term to be traveling across the country? What’s Richie thinking?!”

“He doesn’t have anything to say about it. I came on my own. I’m not that close.”

Silence.

“What happened?”

Tori knew that she wouldn’t get away with the little bit she’d told her mother and Jon – not with Karin. She’d keep at it until she got the whole story. “A photographer showed me pictures of him and Heather. Very cozy pictures. Recent pictures. When I confronted him, he admitted that he’d been meeting with her.” She swallowed. “He told me that she’d realized what a mistake she’d made letting him go and that she wanted him back. When I asked him if he was still in love with Heather and wanted to be with her, he couldn’t deny it. So I left.”

“The son of a bitch!” Karin snarled. “And he just let you leave?”

That was the part that hurt the most. “He didn’t even try to stop me. He just told me to be careful.”

“Oh honey! I’m so sorry. When are you coming home?”

“I don’t know. I haven’t figured out what I’m going to do yet. Right now I’m just looking for a peaceful place to lick my wounds and focusing on the baby.”

“Why didn’t you come home or go to the family in New Jersey?”

“I can’t face the pitying looks of the people at home. I’m 0 for 2 in the marriage department you know. As for New Jersey…well I don’t want to put them in the middle of this. They’ve known him for a lot longer than they’ve known me. There’s also the band to consider. I don’t want to be responsible for any bad feelings between them. Please make sure Shirley understands that. ” She knew better than to ask Karin not to tell David what had happened. “Tell him I’m fine and he’s to leave Richie alone.”

“You’re a better person than I am. I’d like to see the bastard strung up by his most prominent appendage!” Karin growled.

5 comments:

JohnnaJovi said...

What an ASS Richie is! The nerve of him not even fighting for Tori! I hope Jon strangles him because I am ready to and I wonder what Dot, Shirley, and Tico will think when this spreads!

Can't wait to read more!

Liz, this is an awesome story I personally think you should get it printed when it's finally over because I would be the 1st to buy the book!

Anonymous said...

Oh Richie! After all the stress you put Tori thru to get her to stop taking birth control, you go and pull this. I cannot believe you would just let her and your baby go. And what about Ava? She is so excited about becoming a big sister.
You better make this right you bis ass!!

I hope Dot kicks your ass into tomorrow

Mystery Train said...

Hmmm Tori's a brave woman to be facing this on her own - I'd want to be surrounded by family!! I hope she goes to NJ sooner rather than later, otherwise something bad's bound to happen to her!! As for Richie - seriously?? What the hell is the man thinking? He should be scouring the country looking for her!!! Anxiously awaiting the next installment!!

Big Apple Jen said...

All I can say is ... after the hell he put Tori thru "welcoming" her to the family, he better come thru now and really be a brother. I was not happy at all with how quickly he shut up. Hmmmm.....

I agree that going thru it alone is not the way to go ... personally, I think Dot should come down - she's got plenty of experience (LOL) and would be coming at the whole Richie thing from a different angle.

Big Apple Jen said...

Oh ... I realize now that in the first sentence, I was missing who "he" was ... obviously, I'm talking about Jonny...but I guess you assumed that. ;-)

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.