Friday, March 13, 2009

Chapter 235

The next morning, Tori managed to make it to the bathroom on her own. Groaning at her reflection, she brushed her teeth, trying to keep the sleeves of Richie’s sweatshirt out of the way, then crawled gratefully back into bed. With a sigh, she cuddled close to the nearest source of warmth. Richie’s arms closed around her.

“Morning angel. How are you feeling today?” He put a hand to her forehead, and was relieved to find it much cooler than the day before.

“Like I’ve been pulled through a wringer sideways.”

“That good eh?”

She gave him a baleful look, and would have pulled away, but she found his warmth too comforting. He grinned down at her. “So I guess your sense of humour hasn’t recovered yet. Ow!” His hand came up to rub his chest where she’d pinched him. “Okay, I’ll stop. Are you hungry?”

She grimaced. “No, but I think Peanut needs me to try to find something I can keep down.”

“Why don’t I go see if Rosa has any ideas?”

When he left the bed she moved into the spot he vacated, and soaked up the warmth he’d left behind. She dozed off again before he came back. The dipping of the bed under his weight when he sat on the edge woke her. He had a glass in his hand.

“What’s that?” It looked like a milkshake.

“It’s a kind of smoothie. Rosa says it’s got lots of nutritious stuff in it like fruit and protein.” He helped her sit up and handed her the glass. “She said it would help keep you and Peanut going until your stomach can handle solid food.”

She took a cautious sip. “Mmmm, that’s actually pretty good.”

Richie was pleasantly surprised to find that Tori was content to stay in bed for the rest of the day and drank Rosa’s shakes without arguement. He’d been expecting a fight. And as long as he kept his smartass comments to himself, she even let him sit with her.

The fight came the next day. Tori awoke feeling like herself again, and nothing and no one was going to make her stay in bed.

“I’m fine! My fever’s gone, my appetite’s back, no headaches, no vomiting, no weakness….I feel fine, and I’m not going to spend another day laying in bed doing nothing just to make you feel better!”

“But angel, think about Peanut. You’ve been really sick. I just don’t want you to rush back to your normal schedule too soon and relapse.” Richie argued futilely.

“Peanut and I are both just fine – which I’m sure Dr. Crandall will confirm for you this afternoon! For crying out loud Rich, I’m just going down to the office to check my e-mail and go over your mail. I’m not going out to run a marathon!”

“I know, but…” The look she shot him stopped the words in his throat. If he pushed she’d take his head off. “Just promise me that if you feel tired or nauseous you’ll lay down.” She sighed heavily, but promised. He kissed her. “Thank you.”


A few hours later, they walked out of Dr. Crandall’s office, a smug smile on Tori’s face. “I told you we were fine.”

“You can be as smug as you want, you’re not going to make me feel guilty for worrying about you. That’s my job as husband and father. I will be concerned about your well being – and Peanut’s and Ava’s until the day I die.” There was an edge to his voice. “Would you rather I didn’t care?”

She blinked at his tone. Normally he was very easy going – even when dealing with her temper and, lately, with her hormones, but apparently she’d reached the end of his tolerance. One look into his dark eyes told her how serious he was. Tears filled her eyes and clogged her throat. He’d been so wonderful to her and now she’d let her temper take control and pissed him off. “No. I’m sorry. I’m really glad that you care….. I love you for it.” She hugged him tightly, then eased back slightly. “Just…try not to smother me. Please?”

He leaned his forehead against hers. “I’ll….try, but don’t begrudge me my concern. I’m entitled.” She nodded.


Friday morning, it was Tori’s turn to play nursemaid. The bug had hit Richie and knocked him on his ass. Like a typical male, anyone coming into the house would think he was on death’s doorstep, the way he was carrying on.

“Angel, I’m cold.” He shivered, so she piled more blankets on the bed, and then, when he still complained, crawled into bed with him to add her body heat. Within minutes she was dripping, but he didn’t want to let her go.

She kept a bucket beside the bed since she wasn’t strong enough to help him to the bathroom and he was too weak to get there on his own. She didn’t have to watch the clock to give him the Tylenol, he told her when it had worn off. “Oooh, my head’s pounding. I think I’m going to be sick again. God! I feel awful!”

Tori tried to soothe him, by sitting beside him and stroking his forehead and hair. “Sssh honey, go to sleep. You’ll feel better.” She sighed in relief when he finally slept.

The next day was even worse.

“Angel, would you bring me some juice please?” “Angel, would you bring me something to eat please?” “No, not that, some soup.” “Angel would you bring me some water?” “Angel, I need some more Tylenol please, my head hurts.” As the requests grew, her patience dwindled. “Angel, I can’t find the remote and can you fluff my pillow?”

Straightening from adjusting his pillow, she handed him the remote and shook her head at him. “Do you want some cheese to go with that whine?”

“What? I’m sick. You don’t understand how I feel.”

Her brow rose. “Oh really? Has it suddenly slipped your mind that I went through the exact same thing a few days ago?”

“You must have had a milder case. You couldn’t have felt this bad. Like your head’s going to explode, and you’re too weak to hold it up.”

She nodded. “And you’re either going to freeze to death or go up in flames and that you’re going to throw up your toenails.” He just groaned. She rolled her eyes and headed for the door.

“Where are you going? You’re not going to leave me alone for long are you? When I’m in this condition?”

“Oh don’t be such a baby Rich. I’m just going to get you some more juice. You’re not going to die.”

“Hmpf!” He pouted. “You say that so lightly, but you’d miss me if I wasn’t here.”

She just shook her head and escaped downstairs.

“How is Mr. Richie?” Rosa asked as she set a sandwich down in front of Tori.

Tori sighed. “Getting better. You know what that means.”

Rosa nodded. “No one ever been so sick as him. He could pass any minute.”

“Exactly.” Tori smiled and settled in to enjoy her sandwich. She was setting her plate in the sink when his voice reached them.

“ANGEL! I NEED YOU!”

Rosa’s brows rose. “For a dying man he sure can yell.”

Tori burst out laughing, poured a large glass of juice, grabbed a couple cookies and headed back upstairs.

2 comments:

Peg said...

LMAO - there is not a story on this planet that makes me laugh more than this one does!! OMG - you have a got wicked sense of humor that comes thru in your writing. If you haven't ever considered writing for a living, you should because woman, I spend $100's of dollars a year buying books that aren't nearly as good as this story is!!! I can so picture everything that is goin on & you have nailed the characters just as I think they would be. A wonderful story that I just love reading. AWESOME!!!!

Can't wait for more!!!

johnnajovi said...

I am really enjoying this story, but, I have to say this Chapter put a smile on my face. I can't stop laughing! Richie being a baby because he got what Tori had, but, so true you would think that when Men get sick it's the end of the world, but, when a Woman gets sick we still do our daily routine.

I do have to agree w/Peg you should become a writer and publish this story once it's fully written!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.