Friday, April 17, 2009

Chapter 264

Finally, Tori decided she was ready to start the trek to L.A. As wonderful and helpful as Joan – and everyone - had been, she wanted her own home and her own bed. After the upheaval of the last few months she desperately need some peace and a regular routine.

Heather had come to pick up Ava and fly home. While it wouldn’t rank up there on Tori’s top list of fun times, it wasn’t horrible either, just a little uncomfortable. She even had to smile at how Richie had stuck to her side the entire time Heather was there. Ava had looked so sad, she felt horrible, but she had one more week of school, and Tori and Richie needed the time alone. She promised Ava they would spend lots of time together once they got home. Surprisingly, Heather backed her up and assured Ava she could spend a few weeks with them once everyone was settled.

They had celebrated her birthday quietly – just a family dinner. The gifts this year were mostly practical and traditional – books, clothes – which she now needed badly – that sort of thing. Richie gave her a pair of jeans – because he liked the way they fit her, a crystal guitar charm for her bracelet, and a Swarovski crystal angel with a note that said For my angel. You are indeed a gift from heaven. Happy Birthday. I love you.

Richie packed the last suitcase into the back of Tori’s small SUV while Tori checked the house one last time to make sure they had everything. Dorothea had tried one last time to get them to stay at least until after the Fourth, but they both agreed, they wanted to get home. Tori glanced in the cargo area. “Where’s your guitar?”

“I didn’t bring one.” He adjusted a box and avoided her gaze.

Her brows rose in surprise. “You didn’t bring one? But you never go anywhere without one.”

He shrugged. “I wasn’t in the mood to play when I left. I had other things on my mind.”

She nodded. Part of her felt bad, part of her felt….heartened… that she hadn’t been the only one in that kind of a state. It gave her hope that they both wanted to put their marriage back together bad enough to fight for it.

Tori tucked Stevie into his car seat, and turned to hug Joan. “Thanks again for everything Joan.”

“You’re more than welcome. Now, you’re sure your cell phones are charged? Call me as soon as you get home. In fact, call me a couple times during the trip, so that I know you’re alright….and that you haven’t killed each other.”

“Why would you think we’d kill each other?”

“Close quarters, long days travelling….and Richie doesn’t believe in asking for directions.”

Tori laughed. “Of course not, he’s a man.”

“Hey! I don’t need to ask for directions, that’s what we have the GPS for.” Richie reminded them. He hugged his mother. “Phones are charged and we’ll call. Thanks Ma.”

Joan leaned in to kiss the baby. “Take good care of my grandson…and each other.” She placed a hand on each of their cheeks. “Patience, hard work, and love. Lots of love.”

Tori nodded and blinked away her tears, smiling at Richie when she felt his hand rubbing her back. Her hormones were much better, but she still had the occasional attack of tears. Hugging Joan once more, she climbed into the car, flipped down her visor and checked the angle of the mirror that was mounted on the back seat and reflected Stevie’s face back to her.

Richie slid into the driver’s seat, saw what she was doing, and smiled. “Can you see him okay?”

She nodded. “Yeah. This is a great invention.”

Turning the key in the ignition, he checked one more time. “Ready?”

“Yeah. Home Richard.”

“Yes ma’am.” He put the car in reverse, and with a final wave to Joan, backed out of the driveway and they were off.


They didn’t rush. With Stevie, they couldn’t even if they wanted to, so they decided to take their time and enjoy the trip. They stopped every few hours so that Tori could feed Stevie, and she and Richie could stretch their legs. When they stopped for the night, she was reminded of how considerate he was when he asked for a room without anyone on either side as they were travelling with a baby and he didn’t want to disturb anyone else. He was constantly making sure she had everything she needed, whether it was food, help with the baby, or just holding her close while they slept.

Tori slept for long periods during the first couple days. By the third day she was feeling very guilty. “Are you sure you don’t want me to drive for awhile?”

“Naw, I’m fine.” He saw her frown. “What?”

“Rich, I appreciate everything you’re doing, but you can’t keep this up. It’s not fair to you. You’re getting up everytime Peanut does during the night, then driving all day. You need your rest too.” She hesitated. “Maybe we should get two rooms tonight.”

“No!” He’d just gotten her back in his bed, he wasn’t about to let her out again, even for one night, even for his own good. “Then I won’t sleep at all.”

“Then I want you to not get up tonight during the nightime feedings. I know you’ll hear him cry, but I want you to go back to sleep. I’ll be as quiet as I can.” He frowned. “Promise me Richie. Please? For my peace of mind? I need to be sure you’re taken care of.”

He sighed. “Okay. I’ll try.” He must have been more tired than he’d thought…he barely heard Stevie at all.

A couple days later, Tori was unusually quiet. They’d spent the time in the car – when Tori wasn’t sleeping - talking. A lot. About everything. Their relationship, Heather, Ava, Adam’s death, music, the band, his solo album, her job and how she planned to continue now that she was a mother, what they were going to do when they got home….everything. So he was surprised at her silence.

“Angel? Are you okay?”

“Mmmm? Yeah. I’m fine.”

“Tori.” She could hear the warning note in his voice. “No secrets, remember? We talk about everything.”

She smiled wryly. “Can we stop early tonight?”

“Sure. Tired?”

“A little, but that’s not why I want stop.”

“Oh? Want to get off the road for awhile?”

“Kind of. I…I’m feeling the need for a little human contact today, that’s all.” She felt emotional and needy and blamed it on her hormones. The episode at lunch hadn’t helped either. She’d come back from the bathroom to see a woman – obviously a fan – standing at the table, talking to Richie. To give him credit, he was sitting sideways in the booth, with his leg up on the seat so that she couldn’t get close to him. Tori appreciated what he was doing, but even with that and the knowledge that the fan was not a threat to her or her marriage, she still felt an initial jolt seeing her standing near him. She knew that was what she needed to work on. She had pushed the feeling aside and smiled as she approached the table. Richie winked at her. The woman had greeted her, congratulated her on the baby, and asked for her autograph.

He reached out to stroke her cheek. “We can take care of that.”

They stopped at the a large hotel about four in the afternoon. After dropping their bags in the room, Richie set up the stroller and they went for a walk to get some fresh air and exercise. Back in the room, keeping Tori’s emotional state in mind, they looked over the room service menu.

She set it aside with a frown. “Do you know what I’m really craving?”

“What?”

“A Big Mac.”

He grinned. “And French fries and a chocolate milkshake?”

“Yum.”

Chuckling, he leaned over, kissed her and stood. “I’ll be back in about fifteen minutes, give or take.”

Before she could respond the baby woke up. “Guess Peanut’s hungry too.”

After they ate, Richie sat up against the head board, pillows at his back and patted the space between his legs. “Come here angel.”

Tori set the bassinet on the bed beside him, the diaper bag also within reach, and settled herself in the spot he indicated. When she leaned back against him, he wrapped his arms around her. She closed her eyes and sighed in contentment.

“Is this what you need?” He murmured in her ear.

She nodded. Picking up the remote, she scanned the channels, picked a movie and just enjoyed his warmth and scent surrounding her. Periodically, he kissed her temple, or she turned her head and their lips met – not with lust or even desire, but with comfort and a sense of togetherness.

“Thank you.” She murmured softly.

“That’s what I’m here for.” He squeezed her gently.

She shook her head. “Not for this, or not just for this. For your actions with that fan at lunch. I know she wasn’t a threat, but I appreciate your awareness and consideration of my feelings. I know this isn’t easy, and I just want you to know that I can see the effort you’re making and I appreciate it.”

“I told you. Whatever it takes. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

1 comment:

JohnnaJovi said...

Now I am all teary eyed! What a great chapter Tori & Richie both needed to drive home alone and get re-aquainted with each other, but, the best part they both said I LOVE YOU! How sweet!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.