Saturday, April 4, 2009

Chapter 253

The day of the tribute Tori awoke and struggled out of bed, pressing a hand to her aching back. After showering, she stared at herself in the bathroom mirror. Well don’t you look just wonderful! I hope the hair and makeup people Jon’s sending are miracle workers! Peanut, I love you, but I’ll be glad when I can hold you in my arms instead of my belly. She pulled on some comfortable clothes and headed downstairs. Just as she reached the kitchen, her phone rang. As the theme from The Love Boat echoed around the room, she ignored it. A couple minutes later the house phone rang. Carol raised a brow at her. She shook her head.

“Hello? Sorry, Richie, she doesn’t want to talk to you right now. I know. Let her get through the show tonight. I know, but give her her a couple days, then we’ll see.” Hanging up Carol turned and looked at Tori. “How are you doing?”

Tori smiled wryly. “As good as can be expected I guess. I must have slept wrong though – what little sleep I got, or Peanut’s lying funny. My back’s killing me.”

“Here honey, I’ll rub it for you.” John Sr. pulled up a chair beside her and dug his fingers into her tight muscles. “That okay?”

She nodded. “That’s great. Thanks.”

“What do you want to eat?”

“Maybe just a piece of toast and some fruit. I’m not very hungry.”

“You’re sure?” Carol eyed her intently. Tori just nodded.

Dorothea came by in the afternoon. “How’s things? You ready for tonight?”

Tori grimaced. “As ready as I’ll ever be I guess. I hope the make up people know how to hide these bags under my eyes.”

“Didn’t sleep well?”

“Not really, Peanut wouldn’t settle and I couldn’t get comfortable.”

Dorothea watched her carefully. “Have you talked to Richie?”

Tori shook her head and stretched her back. “No. No point. Besides, I need to focus on the show tonight.”

Dorothea nodded. They’d all seen the picture, but they hadn’t discussed it with her. Richie had called Jon and explained what had happened. Knowing what the vultures were like and having been there himself, Jon understood, although he chided Richie that he should have been more careful. Dorothea had planned to talk to Tori, but she had the show tonight, plus by the looks of things she had bigger things to deal with today. “So, are you nervous?”

“Not really. I just hope I can stay out of the bathroom long enough to get through the song!”

“That bad?”

“It seems like I have to go every ten minutes!”


Tori travelled to the theatre with John and Carol. Jon, Dot and Steph met them there. “We’ll go get seats.” Carol offered.

Dorothea nodded and exchanged a look with her mother-in-law. “I’ll stay with Tori.”

Tori laughed. “I don’t need a babysitter.”

“Yet. But maybe soon.” The event’s emcee had walked up behind them. “Wow! They told me you were expecting, but they didn’t say tonight!”

“Hopefully it won’t be.” Tori chuckled and rubbed her belly.


Tori sat backstage and waited for her turn. Dorothea sat with her even though Tori had told her to go sit with the family. The longer she sat, the more uncomfortable she became.

“What’s wrong?” Dot frowned in concern.

“This chair is really uncomfortable. Help me up?”

Dorothea helped her to stand. “Where’s the pain?”

“My back.”

“Mrs. Sambora, you’re up next.” A production assistant warned her.

“Thanks.” She blew out a breath. “Finally!” She moved to stand by the side of the stage and listened to the emcee’s introduction.

“Our next guest is a real fairy tale story. I won’t retell it tonight – you all know it. Her talent should really come as no surprise, and although she’s most closely associated with rockstars – she’s sister to one, and married to another – we were very pleased to find out that she’s an ABBA fan, and thrilled that she agreed to lend us her talent this evening. By the way, just in case, is there a doctor or a midwife in the house? Ladies and gentlemen, Tori Sambora.” Tori slowly made her way to join him at centre stage. The crowd murmured at her appearance. “When is the next little rockstar due to make an appearance?”

Tori smiled and rubbed her belly. “Well, supposedly not until next week, but I don’t know if I’m going to make it that long.”

“Hopefully he or she won’t interrupt Mommy’s song, but signal us if you need to stop.”

Tori laughed. “Oh don’t worry, if I go into labour, you’ll all know.” Dorothea snorted in the wings. “I picked this song, because it’s always been one of my all time favourite ABBA songs. Most of us have been dumped at some point in our lives. There are lots of break up songs, but this one I find, for me anyway, the lyrics capture all the resignation, and acceptance that comes after the pain, and that makes it unique.” She paused. “I ask you to bear with me if I cry. This song can bring me to tears at the best of times, but add a few hormones, and, well, who knows what will happen.” The crowd chuckled.

I don't wanna talk
About the things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me
Now it's history
I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play
The winner takes it all
The loser standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny
I was in your arms
Thinking I belonged there
I figured it made sense
Building me a fence
Building me a home
Thinking I'd be strong there
But I was a fool
Playing by the rules
The gods may throw a dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear
The winner takes it all
The loser has to fall
It's simple and it's plain
Why should I complain.
But tell me does she kiss
Like I used to kiss you?
Does it feel the same
When she calls your name?
Somewhere deep inside
You must know I miss you
But what can I say
Rules must be obeyed
The judges will decide
The likes of me abide
Spectators of the show
Always staying low
The game is on again
A lover or a friend
A big thing or a small
The winner takes it all
I don't wanna talk
If it makes you feel sad
And I understand
You've come to shake my hand
I apologize
If it makes you feel bad
Seeing me so tense
No self-confidence
But you see
The winner takes it all
The winner takes it all...


She dabbed at her eyes as the crowd applauded. In the audience, Richie felt like he’d been kicked in the stomach. Oh God angel, I’m so sorry! I’ve got to find a way to make you see that we’re meant to be together and that you can trust me again. You can’t give up on us. I won’t let you!

2 comments:

Mystery Train said...

And BANG! she goes into labour? Am I right?? Can't wait to find out!

JohnnaJovi said...

Love the song by ABBBA!!! I am hoping Tori doesn't go into labor, but, does Richie realize what he did to her by being w/Heather? He has to show her what he did was so wrong!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.