Friday, April 3, 2009

Chapter 252

“How are things going?” Karin was calling to check in.

“Okay I guess. Richie’s really pulling out all the stops trying to convince me to give him another chance.”

“Any progress on that decision?”

Tori sighed. “I don’t know. He’s been so wonderfully attentive and caring and accommodating.”

“But?”

“But… that he loves me was never in question. It’s whether I can trust him. He keeps telling me that Heather is out of his life – except as Ava’s mother, but I’ve heard that song and dance before. I just don’t know if I can take the chance.”

“Well, I think that only time will tell about the trust. As for taking the chance….before all this happened, you were happy weren’t you?”

“Very.”

“And when you were apart?”

“Miserable.” Tori could see where this was heading.

“And since he’s been back?”

“Not completely unhappy. So you think that I should give him another chance.”

“I think that you have to make that decision. I just want you to be happy. You always told me what a wonderful man Richie was and how he treated you like a queen. Has he changed that much?”

“No.”

“Then, if he can prove his trustworthiness, isn’t he – and the happiness you found with him – worth another shot? For Peanut’s sake as well as your own?”

Tori sighed. “Maybe. But what if he’s lying?”

“Then you let the boys off the leash and let them beat the crap out of him.”

Tori chuckled. “Maybe you’re right. Maybe I should go home and give him another chance.”

“You don’t have to decide right now, just think about it.”




“Morning Nana!” Ava called out from her position on the couch, Richie’s laptop on the table in front of her.

“Morning Ava.” Joan smiled at her granddaughter. Heather had brought her to New York the day before so that she could be there for Richie and Jon’s induction into the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame which was taking place in four days. “What are you up to so early in the morning?”

“Just surfing around the net and leaving messages for a few of my friends back home. They’re going to keep me up on everything that’s happening in school while I’m gone. Oh, look, there’s a picture of Mom and Daddy.”

Joan moved around the couch so that she could see better. “Where was that taken?”

“It looks like the outside of Mom’s hotel and that’s the clothes she was wearing yesterday, so it must have been when Daddy came to pick me up.”

Footsteps on the stairs had Joan glancing up. “Ava, why don’t you go on into the kitchen and set the table for breakfast. I’ll be in a minute and you can help me cook.”

“Okay.” Ava jumped up. “Morning Daddy.” She added as she passed her father.

“Morning Bean. What’s for breakfast?” Richie rubbed his stubbled chin.

“Don’t know yet. Nana and I haven’t decided.”

“Richie, come look at this.” Joan stopped him from following his daughter.

His mother’s tone of voice had him wide awake. “What’s wrong?”

“You tell me. Ava found this picture. She thinks it was taken yesterday. Was it?”

Richie sat down and looked at the screen. “Yeah, I think so. Must have been when I picked Ava up.”

Joan smacked the back of his head. “How stupid can you be! Do you understand what will happen when Tori sees this?”

He rubbed where she hit him. “What? I didn’t do anything wrong!”

“You’re holding hands!”

“No! She handed me some jewellery of Ava’s. That’s all. I swear it!” But he had to admit the picture looked damning.

“Do you think that Tori’s going to believe that after everything that’s happened?” Joan wanted to smack him again. “You just started to make some headway, and now you let this happen!”

Richie raked a hand through his hair and felt his stomach sink. “Fuck! What do I do now Ma? You’re right, she’s never going to believe me. This is going to push her to end it for sure!”

Joan sighed. “What did you tell her about why you were spending time with Heather and considering going back to her?” Richie gave her the run down of the explanation he’d been giving. Her brows rose. “That’s it? That’s the story you’ve been telling her and you expect her to buy it?”

“What? It’s the truth.” He couldn’t understand why she was angry with him.

“Maybe, but it’s not the whole truth. You can’t tell her only half the story and expect her to understand and forgive you. She’s a strong, smart woman. She loves you, but she won’t play second fiddle and she won’t accept you telling her only as much as you feel necessary. If you are going to have any chance of keeping your wife, you have to be honest with her. Totally, and completely honest with her. She deserves nothing less.”

“What are you talking about? I have been completely honest with her!” He insisted.

She shook her head. “No, you haven’t. I’m talking about the reason behind why you felt the need to consider getting back with Heather. Your reason, not anything to do with Heather’s mental health and recovery. The reason why you had a hard time letting go.” He frowned. She reached out to stroke his hair. “The fact that your marriage to Heather didn’t work out doesn’t make you a failure. You got a beautiful daughter out of it. Losing Tori because of it however, makes you stupid beyond belief! Tell her Richard! She’s your future. Don’t let her get away.”




“Hey, what are you doing? You sound out of breath.” Concern coloured Karin’s voice.

“I just got back. I was at Jon’s using his studio for some last minute practise for this tribute thing tomorrow night. I’m out of breath because I was inside getting a drink and had left my phone on the table out here on the porch, and…well Jesse says I don’t walk, I waddle, and not very quickly.” Tori sat down and blew out a breath. “What’s up?”

“Just calling to see how you’re doing.”

“Other than feeling like a beached whale I’m fine.”

“You’re sure?”

Tori frowned. “Yes. Karin, what’s going on?”

“Have you talked to Richie lately?”

“I’m waiting for him to call now as a matter of fact. He left a message yesterday that he had a surprise for me and wanted to take me to dinner.” When Karin was silent, her heart started to speed up. “Karin, what’s wrong? Is it David? Your family? What?”

“No my family and David are fine.” Karin assured her quickly. “It’s….” She sighed. “There’s a picture on the internet of Richie and Heather. It looks like they’re holding hands.”

Tori’s heart plummeted. It took a minute before she could speak. “When was it taken?”

“I don’t know for sure. It showed up today. The caption said that it was yesterday in New York City, but you know how the vultures can doctor pictures and misrepresent when they were taken. Remember that picture with Denise.”

“Ummhmmm.” Tori murmured.

“Don’t jump to any conclusion. I just thought you should know so that you could talk to him about it.”

“Mmmhmmm. I don’t think that will be necessary. I’m done.”

“Tori…”

“No Karin. Whatever the story behind the picture, it just proves to me that I can’t trust him. Every time this happens I’ll wonder. And I can’t stay with him without trust. No. I’m afraid my marriage is over.”

“Tori, talk to him before you make that decision. Let him explain.”

“What’s the point? He’ll just give me the same lame explanation that he’s been giving me for the last two months.”

Karin heard the tired, defeated tone in her voice and knew that there was no sense arguing with her right now. “I’m sorry Tori.”

“So am I.”

2 comments:

Mystery Train said...

noooooooooo!!! not again!! poor rich - he can't do anything right!!

JohnnaJovi said...

When will Richie learn!!!! Richie screwed up BIG TIME!!!! Good Luck explaining this one to Tori!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.