Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Chapter 256

Tori awoke slowly, hearing a deep murmuring voice. As she came more fully awake she recognized Richie’s voice, but didn’t hear an answering one. Cracking open her eyes, she could just make out his tall form standing by the window, but she still didn’t see who he was talking to. Then he turned slightly and she realized he was holding something. Straining to see in the dimly lit room, it suddenly hit her that he had the baby in his arms and that’s who he was talking to. Then what he was saying started to sink in.

“Don’t worry Stevie, Mommy will wake up soon. She’s going to be just fine. She has to be. See, Daddy really f… messed up and hurt mommy very badly. She thinks I’m still in love with your sister’s mommy, but I’m not. I love your mommy. I let my pride stop me from telling her the whole truth. I didn’t lie, but I didn’t tell her the whole story. Nana helped me see that. Mommy’s the one person in the whole world that I can – and should – share everything with, but I didn’t want anyone – especially her - to see my weakness…and my failure. I wanted to be the strong, perfect man for her. To be worthy of her. But by not letting Mommy see, I’ve destroyed her trust. Now I may have lost her….and you. I can’t let that happen. I promise you I’m going to do everything I can to make it up to her and bring our family back together.”

Tori felt tears slide from the corners of her eyes. A small cry from the baby had her struggling to sit up. Richie turned at the sound of her movements and quickly approached the bed. “You’re awake. Thank God!” He braced himself for her reaction to his being in her room.

Up close, she could see the emotion shining in his dark eyes. Happiness, sadness, regret….it was all there. So was the unmistakeable signs of a fat lip. She frowned. The baby cried again. “Let me have him.”

Richie passed him over almost reluctantly, relieved that she hadn’t kicked him out. He’d known he was taking a chance when he informed the charge nurse that he was her husband in order to get in, but he couldn’t stay away any longer. “He’s beautiful Tori. Thank you.”

She smiled down at their son. “Yes, he is. Hello Peanut.” Glancing up at his father, she stared at his mouth. “Which one?”

He didn’t pretend not to know what she was talking about. His tongue came out to touch the cut. “Your big brother. But don’t get mad at him, we all know that he’s been wanting to hit me for the last two months. The strain of hearing about what happened to you broke through his restraint.” He shrugged. “I deserved it. I guess we’re even now.”

The door opened and a nurse walked in, followed by the doctor. “You’re awake! Good.” She frowed at Richie for a minute, then glanced between the baby and him. “Well, I don’t have to ask who you are. Your son is a near exact replica of you.” Richie smiled and nodded, slightly surprised that she didn’t seem to recognize him. She turned back to Tori. “Have you tried to feed him yet?”

Tori shook her head. “No, we both just woke up. Plus, I wasn’t sure if I should.” She waved at at the IV bag that was attached to her arm.

“Yes it’s fine. Daddy help Mommy sit up a little straighter and we’ll give it a try.” The nurse took the baby long enough for Richie to help Tori move into a better position, then handed him back.

Tori lowered one side of her hospital gown and offered the baby her nipple. It took several tries, but finally he got what he was supposed to do and latched on. The nurse nodded in approval. “You’re a natural.”

Tori smiled down at him, then raised her gaze to the doctor. “Now, will you tell me what happened and why we’re in the dark here?”

“You had an eclamptic seizure. Has your blood pressure been elevated at your last few prenatal check ups?”

Tori nodded. “A little, but I figured it was because I was under a lot of stress.” Richie made a noise, but she didn’t look at him. “The doctor agreed it was possible, and said we needed to keep an eye on it.”

“Well, that’s what the seizure was about, although it had nothing to do with stress. We’re giving you some medication to help prevent more seizures and keep your blood pressure down. We’ll keep you here in the dark and quiet for twenty-four hours and monitor you closely. After that, if all goes well, you’ll be moved to a regular room and your family can visit. Right now, we’re limiting you to one or two visitors. You need to avoid excitement for now. I’ll check on you again later.” With that the doctor left.

A few minutes later the nurse gestured to the baby. “Okay, now burp him and switch sides.” Tori did as instructed, jerking slightly when he latched on as soon as the nipple brushed his mouth and began drawing strongly. The nurse smiled. “He’s a fast learner.”

Richie grinned. “It’s food. He takes after Daddy. I have a healthy appetite too.” For food as well as Peanut’s current dinner dispenser!

Tori smiled. “How much does he weigh?”

“Eight pounds, seven ounces, and he’s twenty-two inches long.” The nurse replied. “He’s a good sized boy.” She glanced at Richie. “I can see where he gets it from now. His feet are among the longest I’ve ever seen.”

Tori chuckled. “That is definitely from his daddy. His Nana said Richie was born with big feet.” She glanced back at the baby. “And his sister has big feet for a girl too.”

“You have a daughter?” She frowned down at her chart. “I thought this was your first child.”

“It is.”

“I have a daughter.” Richie explained.

“Oh, I see.”

Tori felt the baby let go and smiled. “All done Peanut?” She held him out to Richie. “Here Daddy, you burp him. Mommy’s got to go to the bathroom.”

The nurse helped her stand and disconnected the IV long enough to walk to the bathroom and back. Once she was settled back in bed, the nurse reconnected the IV, checked her blood pressure and told her she’d be back in an hour.

Tori leaned back on the pillow and smiled gently at her son cradled in his father’s arms. Richie studied her face. “Tori, we need to talk. I mean, really talk.”

She sighed. “I know.”

“But you need to rest right now.” He leaned down and kissed her forehead. “Thank you for our son.” He brushed her hair back from her face. “You rest. If it’s okay with you, I’m going to take little Stevie to meet the family. They’re waiting down the hall.”

She nodded sleepily. “You’re coming back though?”

He blinked away the sudden wetness in his eyes. “Yes. I’m not going anywhere.” He kissed her forehead again as her eyes drifted closed. “Sleep angel. We’ll be right here when you wake up. I love you.”


In the waiting room down the hall, Jon, Dot, Carol and John had been joined by Matt, Desiree, Joan and Ava. Joan saw him first. “Richie? Oh!”

Conversation stopped as all eyes turned to him and waited. His grin said it all. “She’s awake, and seems to be doing very well. The nurse said that if all goes well, they’ll move her into a regular room tomorrow and everyone can go in. They’re limiting her to one or two visitors right now.”

“Oh thank God!” He wasn’t sure who said it first, it seemed to come from all corners of the room.

“Now, are you going to let us see my grandson, or are you going to keep him all to yourself?” Joan held out her arms commandingly and Richie reluctantly handed the baby over. Joan smiled down at the small face and fought not to cry. “Hello Stephen Adam Sambora.” Richie squeezed her shoulder.

Ava sat beside her grandmother and reached out carefully with one finger to stroke her brother’s cheek. “Hi Peanut. Remember me?”

“Oh Richie, he’s the spitting image of you!” Carol noted. The baby was indeed a minature version of his father….except for one thing.

Richie smiled wryly. “Not entirely.”

At the feel of his sister’s gentle touch, the baby’s eyes opened briefly, revealing slices of bright blue, then drifted closed again. Dorothea sighed. Although blue eyes were common to a lot of babies, and often changed over time, she’d seen that particular shade many times. “I think someone needs to talk to my high school biology teacher and tell him he lied to us.”

“What do you mean?” Jon tried to remember back that far, then gave up. It wasn’t like he’d paid attention in class anyway.

“He taught us in basic genetics that brown eyes were dominant and blue eyes recessive. He obviously forgot to tell us that Bongiovi blue eyes were the exception to that particular rule!”

Jon and his father exchanged grins and shrugged. The women – and Richie – rolled their eyes.

No comments:

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.