Thursday, April 2, 2009

Chapter 251

Tori had hardly taken ten steps inside Dot and Jon’s house when the door opened behind her. She turned to see Richie walk in. Her lips twisted. “You’re pretty brave to show up here. You do realize the whole family is here today?” It was Stephanie’s birthday – the family version of it anyway. “And that they’d all like to take a chunk out of your hide?”

He nodded. “Yeah, but as long as you’re here to protect me, I’m safe.” He bent to kiss her cheek and give Peanut a rub.

Over the last couple of weeks, they’d spent a lot of time together, walking, talking..almost like Richie was courting her. One sunny day he picked her up and took her to Asbury Park. They walked around holding hands, laughing at the stories Richie told from his younger days. Tori felt like a teenager again – well, except for Peanut. They shared an ice cream cone and watched the waves crash on the beach. They went for long drives so Richie could show her all his old haunts and Tori could enjoy the bright flowers and foliage that spring brought to the area. Several days he brought her to Joan’s where he cooked them both dinner and Joan and Tori visited. He always took her back to the Bongiovi’s whenever she asked with no complaints. He was on his best behaviour, following her wishes to the letter, trying to worm his way little by little, back into her heart and her trust.

“Tori? Is something wrong…oh hi Richie.” Carol had come looking when she realized that Tori hadn’t followed them into the den. She’d been watching both of them very carefully over the last few weeks, and was encouraged by what she saw. John was withholding judgement and taking a ‘wait and see’ attitude.

“Hi Carol. How are you?”

“Fine thanks. You’re looking better.”

“Yeah.” He winked at Tori. “Trying.”

“Everyone’s in the den.” Carol eyed Richie, the turned towards the den. “I hope you brought body armor.”

Richie grimaced, braced himself, and let Tori lead the way.

“Aunt Tori you walking funny.” Romeo informed her.

“She’s not walking, she’s waddling.” Jesse corrected him.

Tori wrinkled her nose at him. His mother gave him a swat. “Don’t be smart or I’ll get her to sit on you!”

“How are you feeling Tori?” Desiree asked sympathetically.

“Not too bad, my back’s bothering me a bit, but more than anything, I miss being able to bend over, and I can’t see my feet anymore. I’ll be glad when the baby’s born.” She sighed. “Three more weeks, give or take.”

Matt stood up and gave her a hug. “Well, you still look beautiful.” He gave Richie a withering glare. “No thanks to you.”

“Leave him alone. He knows what he’s done.” Tori admonished him.

“Hey Rich, come with me to the office for a minute? I got some more information about the Songwriter’s Hall of Fame induction.” Both Jon and Richie were being inducted in a few weeks.

When they were out of earshot, Tony turned to Tori. “I don’t know why you won’t let us give him the beating he deserves.”

“Because I refuse to be the cause of bad feelings between you.”

“You aren’t the cause – he is. Anyway, you’re family.”

Tori shook her head. “He was part of this family long before I was. I don’t want to disrupt that. Besides, I’m a big girl I have my own ways of making him pay.”

Carol snickered. “I can vouch for that. She’s got him jumping through hoops. She could say the sky was green and he’d agree with her.

“I still say you should let us have a go at him.” Matt pouted. Tori just shook her head.

Matt and Tori were discussing merchandise for the fanclub when Jon and Richie returned. Tori started to struggle upright. “Richie, give me hand.”

“What do you need angel? I’ll get it.”

She shook her head. “Help me up.”

“Let me get what you need.”

“I need to get up.”

“But..”

“Peanut’s stomping on my bladder, now will you please help me up before I make a mess all over Dot’s couch!”

“Oh.” He reached down and gently pulled her to her feet.

On her way back from the bathroom she stopped in the kitchen to see if she could do anything to help with dinner. Dorothea assured her that everything was under control.

“Dot, you’re still coming in the delivery room with me aren’t you?” Tori asked. Dorothea had been attending Lamaze classes with her.

“If you want me there, I’ll be there.” Dorothea had wondered if maybe now Tori might want Richie with her. Apparently, she wasn’t sure of him yet.

“Aunt Tori.” Stephanie entered the room and approached her aunt. “Are you and Uncle Richie getting back together?”

Tori sighed. “I don’t know yet Steph. We still have some issues to deal with.”

“If you don’t and you stay around here, I’ll help babysit for you.”

Tori smiled and hugged her. “Thanks.”


After dinner they moved back to the den to watch Steph open her presents. Tori couldn’t get comfortable and kept shifting, trying to stretch her back.

Richie frowned. “What’s the matter angel?”

“Oh it’s just my back.”

He shifted beside her, then looked around until he saw the large ottoman and inspiration struck. Pulling it over, he set it in front of him. “Here angel. Sit on this and I’ll rub your back.”

With a little help she got situated and sighed in relief as his strong fingers worked out the knots.

“Jon, did you tell Tori what you did?” Dorothea asked her husband.

All eyes turned to Jon. Tori raised a brow. Jon shrugged. “They’re doing a tribute to Mamma Mia for however many shows it is they’ve had in their run. They were looking for artists to participate. I agreed.”

Tori’s second brow joined the first and raised even higher. “But you don’t even like ABBA.”

“No, but you do.”

Her jaw dropped. “You volunteered me to perform?” He nodded. “When?”

“June 15.”

“Good God Jon! You want me to get up on a stage and perform when I’m about ready to give birth?”

“Don’t worry I’ve warned them to have a back up in case you go into labour.”

“Gee thanks, that makes me feel sooo much better!” She sighed. “What song do they want me to do? And I’m using your studio to practice.”

“No problem, and you get to pick the song, but you need to let them know ASAP.”

“Look at it this way angel. It’s not like you need to learn a new song. You know them all.” Richie reminded her.

“Cool! Can we go too?” Steph looked at her father.

“We’ll discuss it.”

2 comments:

JohnnaJovi said...

I am so glad Richie is finally coming to his senses!!!! I can't believe Jon wants Tori to sing when she is about ready to give birth. What is wrong w/him?

Can't wait to read more!

Mystery Train said...

Excellent!! I've been looking forward to Tori performing again! Can't wait for next chapter!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.