Sunday, April 5, 2009

Chapter 254

Everyone was posing for pictures after the show. Jon and the family came backstage. One photographer decided it was too good an opportunity to pass up. “Ooh Tori, can we get one with you and Jon?” Jon obliged. “And how about with your husband as well?”

“Oh, he’s…” Tori began.

“Right here.” Richie finished for her and took a positon on her other side. Tori stiffened, but pasted a smile on her face and fought not to show her feelings.

“Tori!” Ava had waited until the photographer finished, like the good celebrity’s child she was, then rushed forward. “You were great! Whoa! Peanut’s huge!” Her arms wouldn’t go around her stepmother anymore.

Tori smiled despite the tears clogging her throat and hugged her back as best she could. “Yeah he is. It won’t be much longer now before he’s ready to be born.”

Ava put her hand on her brother or sister, but couldn’t feel anything. “He’s not moving?”

“No, he’s been pretty quiet today. He must be resting.”

Carol and Dot exchanged a look.

Ava glanced around to make sure only family was close by. “I’ve missed you.”

“I’ve missed you too Bean.”

The girl’s dark eyes filled with tears. “I know Daddy did something really stupid and upset you, but can’t you please forgive him and come home? Please?!”

“Oh, honey, I wish I could, but it’s not that simple. When you’re older you’ll understand.” She hated that phrase, but she didn’t know how to explain it in a way that Ava would understand. “I will always love you though.”

“Come on Ava, let’s go back to the car. Tori’s tired and needs to rest. Great job by the way.” Joan stepped in to break up the painful scene.

“Thanks Joan.” Tori gave her a grateful smile.

“We’re going to head out too sis. You were great.” Matt and Desiree came up to hug her. Matt turned to Jon. “We’ll take Steph home.”

“Okay. Thanks.” Dorothea had told him of her suspicions, plus he wasn’t sure what Richie might do, and he wanted to stick close in case Tori needed him.

When they had all left, Tori gathered up her belongings and prepared to leave. She made it as far as the parking lot before Richie stopped her.

“Tori, we need to talk.”

“What is there left to talk about Rich? It’s obvious that I can’t believe anything you tell me.” She sighed. “I’m staying with John and Carol until the baby’s born and I find a place.”

“You’re staying here?”

She nodded. “Either Jersey or New York, I haven’t decided yet. I do still have a job you know. You’re not taking that away from me too!” She turned and walked towards the car.

He followed her and stopped her with a hand on her arm. “That’s not what I meant! Will you please listen to me?”

She pulled her arm free and fought against her tears. “Your lawyer can contact me at John and Carol’s. Have Cathy pack up my things if you haven’t already, and I’ll let her know where to send them.”

He frowned. “Is that what you really want?”

She snorted. “What does what I want have to do with anything?” She swallowed around the lump in her throat. “I don’t want anything from you. I can look after myself…..and the baby.” She headed for the car.

“Tori, please!”

She shook her head. “Go home to Heather Rich. Jon will call you when the baby comes. Tell Bean…” She paused as her emotions overwhelmed her and the tears overflowed. “Make sure Bean knows that I love her and I miss her and I’m sorry.” She walked faster.

“Tori! Let me explain. Please just hear me out!”

“Don’t! There’s nothing to explain. Please Rich, just let me go. I can’t do this right now!” Reaching the car she fumbled with the handle, finally yanking it open and climbing inside.

“Dammit Tori! I love you!”

The door slammed shut. Richie reached for the handle, but Jon stepped in front of him. “Let her go man. Give her some time to calm down. You know her hormones are all over the place right now and you know better than to upset a pregnant woman at this stage.”

“FUCK! I can’t just let her walk away Jon. I can’t! She’s my life!” Richie raked a hand through his hair and paced a few steps, looking for something to hit as John and Carol’s car pulled away.

Jon was torn between his best friend’s obvious pain and his sister’s. “I know man, but you sure have a strange way of showing it. As far as I can tell you haven’t given her a good explanation of your first fuck up and now you’ve piled on another one.”

“I explained the picture to you.”

“Yeah, and I understand…and Tori might have too if it wasn’t for the other mess. Right now, it’s just one more reason not to trust you.”

In the car, Tori sat in the backseat, staring out the window trying to ignore the pain in both her heart and her body. Suddenly, she gasped. “John..”

“We’ll be home in a little while sweetie.” He assured her.

“No, I think you better take me to the hospital.” Tori’s voice was calm as her mind struggled to catch up to what her body was telling her.

Carol spun in her seat. “Why? What’s wrong?”

“My water just broke.”

John pressed down a little harder on the gas and carefully maneuvered through the traffic. Carol reached for her cell phone. “I’ll call Dot to meet us there.”


Dorothea was watching the two men talk when her cell rang. She listened, hung up and turned towards her husband and brother-in-law. “Jon, we need to go.”

“Yeah, in a minute.”

“No, Jon now.”

He glanced at his wife in irritation. “What’s your hurry?”

“Tori’s in labour. We need to meet them at the hospital.”

Richie’s face went white. Jon gave him a dark look. “If anything happens to her…”

Richie nodded. “I know, my life won’t be worth living. I’ll get Ma to take Ava home. I’m coming with you.” When Jon hesitated, he glared at him. “She’s still my wife, and that’s my child. I have a right to be there!”

“Yes, you do.” Dorothea agreed. “Let’s go.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz, you're killing me here. But I just can't seem to want to stop reading. LOL!

I've been remiss in commenting but honestly, I do love this story, as much as it pains me to see everyone hurting so badly.

And dammit, how do you write so quickly? I think if you look in the dictionary under 'prolific', you might see your own picture!

Kudos and I can't wait for the next chapter! Can't wait to meet Peanut!
-Stas

JohnnaJovi said...

I have been hooked on this story from the 1st chapter since I joined JoviNation and someone on JoviNation told me about this story and I haven't looked back.

I really enjoy reading this story, Liz, I look forward to reading a new chapter and I am waiting to meet Peanut!



Can't wait to read more, Liz!!!!

Mystery Train said...

OMG!! the tension!!! love it as usual!!

Nayeli said...

Seriously Liz are you trying to kill me here? Let him explain to Tori already or let Jon kick his ass and put him out of our misery somethings gotta happen here.

marce said...

I've heard of long labors, but really!!!LOL

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.