Saturday, February 21, 2009

Chapter 228

The next day after breakfast Tori was sitting in the den playing Snakes and Ladders with Jake when Romeo came running in. Knowing his habit of jumping into her lap, she braced herself to catch his hurtling little body. He surprised her when he stopped just short of her knees and frowned.

“What’s the matter Big Man?”

“Daddy said I not to crimb on you. He said I could hurt you or baby.”

Tori smiled and pulled him onto her lap. “Oh it’s okay to sit on my lap, just don’t jump around and hit my stomach. You won’t hurt me or the baby.”

Jake came around the corner of the table and sat beside her. “Are you really going to have a baby?”

“Yes, but not until June.”

“It doesn’t look like you’re going to have a baby.” He’d seen pregnant women before. “Your belly isn’t big.”

“Not yet. The baby’s still really little right now. In a few weeks my belly will start to get bigger.”

Romeo wiggled off her lap, bent over and pressed his ear to her stomach. “Hello? You in der? I’n Romeo. I your tousin.”

Tori’s eyes filled with tears. She blinked rapidly and stroked the blonde head in her lap. A sound had her looking up to find Jon and Dorothea standing in the doorway, Dorothea blinking away tears of her own as she smiled fondly at her youngest.

Jon took a seat beside Jake. “What do you think about having a new cousin buddy?”

Jake shrugged. Although he understood that his aunt was going to have a baby, it wasn’t real to him at this point. “Is it a boy or a girl?”

Jon looked at Tori. “We won’t know until it’s born.” She answered.

“You don’t want to know ahead of time?” Jon was surprised.

“I haven’t talked to Richie about it yet, but…no. I’d rather wait and be surprised.”

“Whatever makes you happy Angel. I like surprises.” Richie spoke from the doorway.

Tori smiled at him, and the tears started again. Jesse entered the room, looked at her and sighed.

“Do you want some ice cream Aunt Tori?” He handed her the box of tissues.

“No thanks Jesse, it’s not even lunch time yet.”

He shrugged. “It always worked for Mom.”


They were just about to sit down for lunch when the gate buzzed. The guys were beginning to arrive in preparation for the New Year’s Eve party that night. They heard the door slam.

“Boris! Where is she? Boris!”

“David! Why are you calling her Boris?” Karin frowned at him.

“Well, it’s that or Rosemary…or maybe…what was Sigourney Weaver’s character’s name in Alien?”

“Charlie, didn’t they tell you about the Jersey law that says you have to muzzle barking dogs?” Richie greeted them.

“She is not having a devil – or monster or alien – baby!” Karin swatted David’s arm.

“Honey, with Sambora for a father, you can’t be sure.”

“You know big brother, I think you’re right. Scarecrow Syndrome. Either that or his brain is as curled as his hair!” Tori reached up and grabbed a fistful of his shirt and pulled him down to her level. Her eyes narrowed and bore into his. “Don’t you know better than to bait a pregnant woman? Knock it off Shirley or I’ll show you a new place to hide lollipops and I promise you won’t like it!” She shoved him away glanced at Karin. “Come on Karin, I’ll introduce you to Dorothea and the kids and you can explain to me again why you want to be with him.”

David watched, stunned, as the two women headed towards the kitchen. He glanced at Richie, who grinned.

“Forgot about the pregnancy hormones didn’t you?”

David nodded. “Are they always that bad?”

“You think that’s bad? That’s pretty mild actually. Although, to be honest, I don’t see much of that side of it. I’m not stupid enough to prod the bear. Remember, she’s a Bongiovi, with the temper to prove it and I like all my parts just as they are.”

David shuddered at the thought and clapped a hand on Richie’s shoulder. “My sympathies man.”

Jon frowned at both of them. “Apparently Scarecrow Syndrome is contagious. It’ll serve you both right if she rips your ‘parts’ off and feeds them to you for dinner.”

“Come on guys, lunch is ready.” Stephanie came looking for them. “Uncle David, Mom says that if you upset Aunt Tori again you’ll be seeing in the New Year from a hospital bed and Aunt Karin says that you won’t get any TLC from her.”

David frowned and sighed. Richie chuckled. “Sounds like the women have joined ranks against you…again. You know, I really want to thank you. You’re making me look real good!”

David just grunted and followed the scent of food. In the dining room, Richie had just taken his seat when he saw Tori look at her plate then around the table.

He smiled and stood. “Hang on angel, I’ll get it.”

They all watched as he left the room and returned with the bottle of maple syrup and handed it to her.

“Eeew! Aunt Tori, that’s gross!” Jesse grimaced as he watched her pour syrup on her burger and dip her fries in it.

She shrugged. “No it’s not. It’s good.”

“With me it was peanut butter with Steph, oranges with Jesse, dill pickles with Jake and peanut butter and bananas with Romeo.” Dorothea offered.

Jon shuddered at the memories, then turned to Richie . “We have some, you didn’t have to bring your own, you know.”

Richie shrugged. “She prefers the real stuff. I got some when we were at her parents, and I make a point of carrying some with us wherever we go.”

Tori leaned over and kissed him. “My knight in shining armor.”


After lunch, they settled back in the den.

“So what does Ava think of having a brother or sister?” Jon asked. “As if I couldn’t guess.”

Richie chuckled. “Yeah, she’s just a little excited. I think my ears are still ringing with her screams.” He sipped his Coke. “She thinks it’s a boy.”

Jon shook his head. “Nope, it’ll be a girl. All your kids will be girls.”

“Why do you say that?” Tori raised a brow at him.

“Karmic payback. Nature’s way of making him pay for the misdeeds of his youth.”

She snorted, glad that the kids weren’t in the room. “Then how come you only have one daughter, and David only has two?”

“Because David was worse than me, but neither one of us was anywhere near to being in Rich’s league.”

“Riiight. Should we talk about the middle aged women in your neighbourhood that needed you for more than a little yard work?”

Jon choked. “Damn…do you remember everything I’ve said in interviews?”

She smirked. “Not everything…just the juicy bits. Plus, Tony and Matt have filled me in on a few things.”


Karin and Tori were relating humorous stories about adventures they’d experienced together when Tico arrived. He walked immediately to Tori. “Mamacita! Congratulations! How are you – and the nino- feeling?” Pulling her to her feet, he hugged her gently.

She smiled. “We’re doing just fine. How did you know?”

“Shirley told me.”

She raised a brow at David as she resumed her seat. He tried to duck behind Karin. “Karin said you didn’t want me to tell Jon. She never said I couldn’t tell Teek.”

Karin elbowed him. “You can’t keep a secret to save your life can you? I’m never telling you anything again!”

“Aw, come on babe, I was just so happy for them, I had to tell someone!” He nuzzled her neck. “You know you can tell me anything. If you asked me not to tell, I wouldn’t.”

Karin looked at him, sighed and stroked his cheek. He grinned and kissed her. Tori sniffed from her position in the curve of Richie’s arm. David glanced at her, his expression one of horror at the sight of her tears.

“Hurt her, and I’ll make sure you’re of no use to a woman ever again.” Tori warned him. Richie hugged her closer and pressed a kiss to her hair.

“Don’t worry Bela, I only want to make her happy.” David assured her. Karin blushed.

“Ugh. You guys are all making me sick with all this mushy stuff.” Jesse stood in the doorway and wrinkled his nose.

“Tell me that in a year or so.” His father retorted.

“Won’t have to wait that long.” Steph muttered, having come to greet Tico.

Jesse glared at her. “I’m going to watch a movie.”

Tori yawned. “And I’m going to have a rest before I have to start getting ready for the party or I won’t make it to midnight.” They were staying in the main house instead of the guest house because Richie didn’t want her risking the slippery driveway.

When she stood, David did too. “All joking aside, you know that I’m really happy for you and Chuck, right?”

She hugged him, smiling when he squeezed her carefully. “I know. Thanks.” As she left the room she sent her husband a meaningful look. He winked back.

Dorothea chuckled. “I think that look meant that she wants some company for her nap.”

Richie grinned and drained his glass of Coke and sat it on the table. “Yeah. I’d better go and see if she needs help with anything.”

“Make sure you lock the door so that Jake or Romeo don’t come visiting and get an eyeful.” Jon sighed. “I miss those days.”

Dorothea snorted. “I wasn’t aware that you were being deprived.”

“Oh, I’m not complaining honey, but there’s a difference between normal…hunger…and early pregnancy hunger.”

Richie, Tico and David all nodded, remembering smiles on their faces. Karin and Dorothea exchanged glances and rolled their eyes.

2 comments:

Nayeli said...

wow I love how relaxed Jon is about everything. Something about this chapter made me go Awww with him.

Keep it up you know I love BR. :)

JohnnaJovi said...

I really enjoy the bantering between Jon, Richie, David, & Tico. Tori, Dot, & Karen get along so well I am so jealous!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.