Sunday, February 15, 2009

Chapter 225

“Tori! We’re going to miss the plane!” Ava yelled up the stairs.

“I’m coming, and no we’re not Bean. We’ve got plenty of time.” Tori assured her as she descended the stairs. Her companions stood at the bottom surrounded by their luggage. Richie was watching her.

“Be careful! Don’t fall.” Ava warned her.

“Don’t you start on me too Bean. One overprotective Sambora is all I can handle. I’m fine. I’ll be careful.” She stroked Ava’s hair. “I promise.”

Ava hugged her, then backed off and patted Tori’s stomach. “Okay peanut?”

Tori smiled and glanced at Richie who was watching his daughter fondly. “Peanut’s just fine and ready to go meet the rest of the family. Let’s go.”


Richie watched Tori carefully during takeoff. When the seatbelt sign went off, he waved at a flight attendant and ordered tea for her, coffee for him and juice for Ava. “Angel, do you want anything else? Crackers?”

Tori shook her head. “Not right now thanks, I’m fine.”

Ava looked at her curiously. “Are you going to be sick? Becky said that her mother was sick every morning for months before her sister was born.”

“No, I’m not going to be sick. I was at first, but that seems to have stopped now.” I hope.

Ava frowned. “Does he move around? I mean, can you feel him?”

“Not yet. I will be able to in another few weeks and you will too.” Tori was amused at Ava’s insistance on referring to the baby as a boy, although she supposed it was nicer than saying ‘it’.

The rest of the flight was spent answering Ava’s seemingly endless questions about the baby and reassuring her that Jenny would indeed be at Tori’s parents’ when they arrived. After landing they picked up their luggage and headed through customs.

“What is the purpose of your visit to Canada?” The customs officers asked as he checked their ID.

“We’re going to visit our family.” Ava spoke up before either Tori or Richie could.

Tori grinned down at her. Richie chuckled and guided them to the counter to pick up their rental car.

When they pulled up in front of Tori’s parents’ house, Ava was out of the car and halfway to the door before Tori and Richie had even gotten out.

“Grandma Helen, Grandpa Bill! We’re here!”

“I see that Ava. Merry Christmas!” Helen opened the door. “Be careful on the sidewalk, it’s a little icy.” She called as she watched Tori pick her way over the frozen ground.

At her warning, Richie slammed the trunk shut and rushed to catch up to his wife. Suitcase in one hand, he gripped her arm with the other. She shot him a look, but didn’t say anything.

“Hi Mom, Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas dear.” Helen hugged her daughter. “Merry Christmas Richie.”

“Merry Christmas Helen.” He bent and kissed her cheek.

Ava came running up from downstairs. “Nana’s here!”

Tori looked at her mother. Helen nodded. “We thought she should come up here and we could all be together.”

The rest of the family came to greet them. Matt offered to bring in the rest of the bags for Richie. When they were all settled downstairs, Ava was practically jumping out of her skin and kept shooting pleading looks at Tori. Finally, Tori nodded.

“We’re going to have a baby!” Ava announced.

Conversation stopped as everyone looked to Tori for confirmation. She nodded and glanced at Richie, who reached out to take her hand.

“Really?”

“That’s wonderful!”

“Congratulations!”

“When are you due?”

“Yes, thank you, June.” Tori tried to keep up with the comments and questions coming at her from all directions. She turned to Joan – the only one who wasn’t surprised. “You knew didn’t you?” Joan smiled and nodded. “How? I wanted to keep it a secret until Christmas. What did I do to give it away?”

“Nothing. Well, I noticed that you seemed a little tired and a little emotional, but mostly it was Richie. He was watching you like a hawk, talking to you like you were psychotic and about to snap, and wouldn’t let you do anything on your own.”

Tori swatted her husband’s arm. “I told you! I didn’t give it away, you did!”

“Ow! Sorry! I can’t help it! I don’t want anything to happen to you or the baby.”

“Don’t begrudge him his concern.” Bill admonished her. “It’s his responsibility to make sure you’re taken care of.” Jim and Michael nodded.

“She’s pregnant, not sick.” Helen argued. Louise and Sue nodded. “Or are you? How are you feeling?”

“Fine. I did have a mild case of morning sickness, but it seems to have stopped. My iron was low and made me really tired, but that’s better now.” Tori replied.

“Hey Rich, how are the hormones?” Jim asked.

“Manageable.” Was all Richie would say.

“Uh huh.” Jim wasn’t fooled.

Michael shuddered. “Can you imagine with her temper?”

Jim grimaced. “Our sympathies, man.”

Tori glared at both of them.

“Ignore them Tori.” Sue advised. “When they can deal with having another life grow inside them, poking them in the ribs, stomping on their bladder, making them eat sometimes stomach churning concoctions, draining their energy, making them want to cry one minute and scream the next, and I’m not even going to talk about the actual birth.”

“Please don’t.” Billy interrupted his mother.

“Anyway, when they can share in the hard work as well as the fun of creating a baby, then they can complain about having to cope with some of the less predictable and less pleasant aspects of pregnancy.”

“So there.” Tori stuck her tongue out at her brothers.

Richie kissed her temple. “I’ll cope with whatever I have to. I just want you and the baby safe and taken care of.” Tears filled her eyes and she leaned more heavily against him.

“Uh oh. Here come the waterworks.” Jim warned. Louise cuffed him in the back of the head.

“Better that than the other side.” Richie assured him and grunted when Tori poked him.

“Can we open presents now?” Aaron turned the subject to something more interesting to him.

“Yes.” Helen agreed.

The go ahead given, the noise level in the room skyrocketed as sixteen people exchanged presents. After awhile, Joan sat down beside her son and glanced around the room. “This is quite the family you’ve gotten yourself here.” He nodded. “I’m glad. You were meant to be part of a big family.” She’d been watching him with the other kids. “You’re a good father.”

“She made me a better one.” Richie watched his wife checking out the clothes her parents had given Ava.

Joan nodded. “She’s an excellent mother.” She glanced at Richie. “I know I don’t have to ask if you’re happy about the baby.” His whole face lit up and his joy shone in the dark depths of his eyes when he looked at his mother. “That’s what I thought. How’s Ava taking it?”

“I think I’m still deaf from her screams. She calls him Peanut.”

“Him?”

He shrugged. “She thinks it’s a boy.”

“And you?”

“I honestly don’t care as long as he or she – and Tori – are healthy.”

“Hey look!” Jenny ran up to Ava and Tori. “I got Mamma Mia! And it has a sing-a-long version! Grandma says we can watch it later.”

“Cool! Tori knows all the words without having to read them!” Ava responded.

“Sounds like we’re going to get a show.” Joan chuckled.

Richie just nodded and smiled indulgently at his family. “They’re actually pretty good.”

2 comments:

Peg said...

Love this story. What a great chapter!! If Ava and Richie are this excited now, I can't wait to see what they're like when they feel the baby moving for the first time.

Can't wait for more.

JohnnaJovi said...

I am so addicted to this story. I have been telling my friends on facebook and BSWJBJ! I can't wait to see what happens when Richie & Ava feel the baby move to me that is happiest moment feeling a baby kick for the 1at time!

Can't wait to read more of this exciting story!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.