Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chapter 227

Tori settled into her seat on the plane with a sigh. She felt like she’d spent more time in the air than on the ground lately. She wasn’t complaining – and was doubly glad that the baby wasn’t either – but she was looking forward to the next couple weeks in New Jersey. It wasn’t home, but it was close, and she’d could stay in one place for more than a day or two. Plus, the reaction to their news was sure to be more enthusiastic than the one they just experienced.

“Are you okay?” Richie murmured. She nodded. “I’m sorry about Heather.”

She turned her head to look at him, reached over and squeezed his hand. “You need to stop apologizing for her behaviour. You can’t control it, so don’t try to take the blame for it. Besides, I didn’t expect her to be jumping with joy for us.”

“But she could have been a little more pleasant.”

Tori shrugged. They had dropped Ava off at her mother’s on the way to the airport. Heather had met them at the door.



“Mom, guess what! I’m going to have a brother or sister!” Ava was hardly out of the car before she was sharing the news.

“Really? Well, that’s…..something. Why don’t you go on in Ava? Carmelita’s got a snack ready for you.”

“Okay.” With a hug for her father and Tori – and a pat for ‘Peanut’, she’d disappeared inside.

“Don’t you think you could have told me about this before surprising your daughter with it?” She’d almost sneered at Richie.

“Why? It was our right to tell her not yours. It’s not like it’s bad news that she needed to be prepared for. She’s fine with it. In fact, she’s ecstatic. Please don’t try and spoil it for her.” Richie frowned at his ex-wife.

“Hmpf. Well, you must be thrilled. I guess you finally got what you wanted.”

Richie had hugged Tori to his side and kissed her temple. “Yes I have…and I am.”



“It’s going to be a bit of an adjustment for her too.” Tori reminded him. “It’s one more sign that you’ve moved on with your life – and not with her. Actually, I was prepared for a more spiteful response.”

“She didn’t upset you?”

She shrugged again. “Not really. I’m happy, you’re happy, Ava’s happy….frankly, I don’t care what she thinks.”

Richie grinned and leaned over to kiss her. “I love you.” He set his hand on her stomach. “And Peanut.”

She chuckled and stroked his cheek. “We love you too.”


Several hours later they pulled their rental car into the Bongiovi estate and stopped in front of the door of the main house. Jon opened the door and stepped out to meet them.

“Be careful. It’s a little slippery.” He warned as Tori opened her door.

“Angel, wait until I come help you.” Richie admonished her.

Tori stepped carefully out of the car and opened the back door. Richie was pulling their suitcases out of the cargo area. He set down the bags and slammed the door when he saw what she was doing. “Tori! Will you wait!”

“I’m just getting the bag with the presents out.”

“Well stop! Wait for me. I’ll help you to the door.”

“Rich, stop it! I’m not an invalid! Stop treating me like I’m helpless! I’m perfectly capable of walking to the door.” She snapped.

Jon’s brow rose at her tone. Dorothea stood in the doorway and eyed her sister-in-law speculatively.

“I’m sorry angel, I just don’t want you to fall.” Richie tried to placate her.

“I don’t want to fall either.” Tori sighed. “I’ll be careful, I promise.”

“Let me take that.” Jon stepped forward to take the bag from her. “Happy holidays, sis.” He bent to kiss her cheek. “Everything okay?”

Her brows rose. “Everything’s fine. Why?”

He snorted. “Because you just bit Rich’s head off.”

“Did I?” She frowned. “I’m sorry honey.” Richie waved it off. “No, we’re fine. We’re great actually.” She let Jon take her arm and walk her to the door. “Happy holidays Dot.”

“You too Tori.” Dorothea hugged her and lead her into the foyer.

Jon turned to Richie. “Is everything really okay?”

“Yeah. It’s great.”

“Does she always snap at you like that?”

Richie hid a smile. “No. She’s just tired from travelling.”

The sounds of the kids descending on them prevented Jon’s response.

“Aunt Tori, Uncle Richie!”

“Hi guys!” Tori hugged them all.

“Hey! Save some for the rest of us!” John Sr. appeared in the doorway, Carol, Tony, Matt and Desiree close behind.

They settled into the den and passed out the presents. Tori looked around the room at her family and suddenly found herself blinking back tears. Richie noticed and reached over to squeeze her hand. She gave him a trembling smile.

Jon noticed too and frowned. “Tori, do you want a glass of wine?”

“No thanks Jon. I’d love a glass of cranberry juice though if you have any.”

Jon glanced at Dot. She nodded and stood up. “Yeah. In the kitchen. I’ll get you some.” When she returned, she handed the glass to Tori, sat down again and smirked at her sister-in-law. “So Tori, when are you going to make Jon, Tony and Matt here uncles?”

“What?” Came from all directions. Everyone stared at Tori.

Tori’s lips twisted into a wry smile. “June.”

The room erupted. The joy and genuine delight expressed wiped away the bitter after taste of Heather’s less than enthusiastic response. When the congratulations faded and Tori was able to sit down again, she looked at Dorothea.

“How did you figure it out?”

Dorothea grinned. “A combination of things. Richie insisting you not try to walk to the door without help, then not being surprised or bothered when you basically took his head off, then the tears when you looked around at the family, and finally, when you wouldn’t take any wine. Having been there, I recognized the signs.”

“How are you feeling Tori?” Carol asked.

“Pretty good actually. My doctor says that everything looks good. I had a little morning sickness at first, but that seems to have stopped. The hormones are firmly in control though.” She gave Richie an apologetic smile.

He leaned over and kissed her temple. “It’s okay honey. I know you don’t mean it and you can’t help it. I don’t take it personally.”


While the conversation continued, centered around pregnancy and babies, Jon stood and walked into the kitchen. Richie frowned. He had received his share of congratulations, but Jon’s had been a little more subdued than he had been expecting. He stood and followed his brother-in-law.

He found Jon pouring himself a cup of coffee. He glanced at Richie. “You want one?”

“Sure.” He eyed Jon carefully. “Spit it out Bro.”

“What?”

“Whatever it is that’s got you less than thrilled about the baby.”

“Oh I’m happy for you and Tori, I am, it’s just…” He sighed and looked his best friend in the eye. “I want to make sure that you have your priorities straight. You have a new wife and a baby on the way. I want to be sure that your focus is on the future, not the past.”

“Of course it is! What are you talking about?”

Jon searched Richie’s face for a long moment. “You know that I love you like a brother, but she’s my sister. I don’t ever want to see her show up here again, alone, devastated because you’re more concerned about Heather’s needs than hers.”

Richie raked a hand through his hair and sighed. “I take full blame for that situation. I was wrong, and I know it. I should never have put Heather before Tori. I let my feelings of guilt convince me to go along with Heather’s game, and I hurt my wife. I didn’t even realize what I was doing until Tori pointed it out to me. I’ll make you the same promise I made her. Never again. Tori is everything to me. She’s given me my life back. She is my priority – now more than ever. I won’t make the same mistake again.”

Jon nodded. “Good. I’d hate to see the last twenty-five years thrown away because of a manipulating bitch trying to hold on to her glory days.”

Richie met his gaze. The two men stared at each other for a long moment ensuring that the message was clear, then both nodded and hugged.

“I am happy for you Bro.” Jon assured him. “I know how badly you’ve wanted this.” He grinned. “You’d better make the most of sleeping in over the next few months. Once the baby comes, your mornings will start a whole lot earlier – and that’s once the baby’s sleeping through the night!”

Richie laughed. “Yeah, well, a baby is worth losing a little sleep over.”

“No argument there man, although when they get to be teenagers, you lose sleep for a whole other reason….and I preferred the crying babies!”

“Dad, Uncle Richie, we’re going into the theatre to watch Mamma Mia.” Stephanie poked her head in the kitchen.

Richie groaned. “Again?”

2 comments:

Big Apple Jen said...

Not surprised at Heather's reaction. And you had to know Dot would figure it out right away.

Loved Jon's comment about not wanting to have to throw away 25 years ... no matter what, family comes first.

JohnnaJovi said...

I am not suprised either by Heather. I knew Dot would figure out that Tori was pregnant just by how Richie was treating her!

Jon's comment made me think no matter what blood is thicker than water and family comes first.

Can't wait to read more!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.