Thursday, February 5, 2009

Chapter 221

The next week was a busy one for the Sambora family. Tori was trying to get preparations underway for both Thanksgiving and Christmas and Richie was scheduled to present an award at the American Music Awards on Sunday night.

“Man, one thing I kinda miss about Canada is having Thanksgiving in October. Having it so close to Christmas is an organizational nightmare!” Tori grumbled one afternoon early in the week as she pored over lists.

“Think of it as a challenge.” Richie suggested. “Besides, if you’d let Rosa help…..” He trailed off and raised his hands defensively when she lifted her head and he saw her face. “I know, I know, it wouldn’t be the same. Sorry I mentioned it. I just don’t like to see you wearing yourself out when you should be taking extra good care of yourself.”

“I just want it to be perfect.” Her eyes filled with tears.

“I know you do. And it will be. Everything you do, no matter how it turns out, is perfect, because you do it with love.” He wasn’t sure if he’d said the right thing or not – it was hard to tell these days since she cried about everything – but he thought he was safe when she crawled onto his lap and hugged him. When she released him he tucked a curl behind her ear and kissed her gently. “What can I do to help?”

“Well, you can help me figure out how we’re going to fit in visits to all of our family over the holidays, what to get Jon and Dot for Christmas, and sort out with Heather once and for all who’s getting Ava for Thanksgiving.” They’d been arguing for the last couple of weeks and still hadn’t come to an agreement.

It was decided – after many phone calls – that they would spend Christmas Day at home in L.A, then head for Canada on Boxing Day for a couple days. Ava would travel with them. They would return to L.A., then spend New Year’s in Jersey and stay for a couple weeks since Jon wanted to work on some songs for a new album.

“Already?” Tori was surprised when she’d been informed of Jon’s wishes.

Richie nodded. “Yeah. He’s rolling around some ideas on how to commemorate our twenty-fifth anniversary. If I were you, I’d keep up my practising. You know he’s going to want to include you.”

Tori snorted and glanced down at her stomach. “Well then he either needs to do it soon or wait until next summer or fall. It won’t be long before I won’t have a lap to sit a guitar on.”

“And you’ll be even more beautiful, although I don’t know how that’s possible.” He kissed her temple.

She snorted. “Wow, you’re on your best behaviour. Do you want something or are you just trying to avoid the down side of the hormone roller coaster?

He grinned. “Neither. I’m just being honest.”

“Uh huh.” She didn’t sound convinced.

Organizing Thanksgiving didn’t go quite so smoothly. Richie and Heather still hadn’t come to an agreement about Ava and Tori was getting fed up. When she walked into the living room to hear Richie, on the phone, once again arguing, she decided she’d had enough.

“Oh for fuck’s sake…ENOUGH! Give me the phone!” She held out her hand, her eyes daring him to say no. He handed over the phone. “Heather, this is ridiculous! This is supposed to be a family celebration and the two of you are fighting over your daughter like dogs over a bone! Now, we’re all reasonable adults, surely there’s a compromise here. Why don’t you and Jack come here for Thanksgiving dinner? Joan will be here, and Ava can have all of her family together.”

There was silence at the other end of the line for a long minute. “Why don’t you come here instead?”

Tori grit her teeth. “Because I asked first and I’ve already got the preparations started. You can have the next one.”

Heather sighed. “Okay.”

“Great. We’ll eat at five, but feel free to come over earlier if you want.”

“Thanks.”

Tori hung up and handed the phone back to Richie. He eyed her carefully. “Are you sure you want to do that?”

She shrugged. “I’ll do whatever I have to do to have a nice family holiday.” He kept staring at her. “What?”

“You might want to keep in mind that she’s not a naïve, easily distracted eleven year old. You’re going to have to really watch yourself or she’s going to figure it out.” He didn’t give her favourable odds. Hormones were hard to control at the best of times, and half the time she didn’t even realize the signals she was sending out.

She frowned but nodded. “Warning noted.”


Friday Richie picked up Ava and Kate after school and took all of them to the Laker’s game. Saturday, Tori and Ava spent all afternoon baking and freezing cookies for Christmas and the evening making shopping lists and watching a movie.

Sunday, they were getting ready to head to the AMA’s when Tori realized that she’d left her lipstick upstairs. Richie stood at the bottom of the staircase and watched her all the way up.

“Daddy, are you and Tori fighting or something?”

“Hmmm? No, we’re fine Bean, why?”

“’Cause, you keep standing here watching everytime she goes up and down the stairs, you’ve been talking to her like she’s upset and you’re trying to make her feel better and she cried during the movie last night.”

Richie debated his response. “Well, I watch her on the stairs in case she has another dizzy spell. I don’t want her to fall. I didn’t realize I was talking to her like that. I didn’t mean anything by it. As for the movie…well sometimes she gets so into the movies that its like she’s part of them and she gets emotional.”

Ava frowned. “I thought her dizzy spell was because she got up too fast.”

“It probably was. I’m just being extra careful. Just like I was with you when you were learning to walk. I wouldn’t let you get more than a foot away from me in case you lost your balance. I wanted to be there to catch you if you fell. I want to protect the people I love and keep them from getting hurt.”

She grinned and hugged him. “I love you too Daddy.”

“Okay, I’m ready. Let’s go.” Tori joined them, caught Richie’s eye and raised a brow. He just shook his head.


“Oh Daddy look, there’s the Jonas brothers! Can we go meet them? Please?!” Ava gripped her father’s hand and did the dance that had earned her her nickname.

“Sure sweetie.” Richie dutifully let himself be tugged over towards the young men standing by the refreshment table.

Tori chuckled and followed more slowly, while she glanced around the room. They were backstage before the show, doing a bit of a meet and greet with the other artists and presenters who would be participating that evening. She was startled to hear her name being called. Looking towards the voice she saw Chris Daughtry waving at her. She smiled, waved back and changed direction to meet him. “Hey Chris. How are you?”

He hugged her. “I’m great. How are you?”

“I’m good. Really good.”

“Really? The story I heard must have been wrong then.”

“What story?”

“That you actually married Sambora. But it can’t be true or you wouldn’t look so good and so happy.”

She laughed and raised her left hand to display her rings. “Yup, it’s true.”

He shook his head sadly. “And Jon let you? I can’t believe he’d throw his only sister to the big bad wolf. And I thought you had better taste than that.” The twinkle in his eyes gave away the joke.

“Well, you were already married, so what other choice did I have?”

“Hey! Are you trying to steal my wife Daughtry?” Richie slid an arm around her waist and hugged her tight to his side. “Hands off man. She’s mine.” He slanted her a look. “As for you, Mrs. Sambora, what’s with trying to pretend I’m second best? We both know no one can compete with the moose.”

“Richie!” She swatted his chest and looked around. “Where’s Ava?”

“Over there with the Cyrus’. She’s talking a mile a minute with Mylie. Billy Rae says that they’re a lot alike.”

“She’s gorgeous man. You are so screwed when she starts dating. I look forward to watching the fireworks.” Chris grinned and clapped Richie on the back.

Richie flipped him off and grimaced. “I know it.”

“Aw, don’t worry honey, I’ll help you through it.” Tori assured him.

“I know that too. That’s one of the reasons I married you. I knew I couldn’t survive it on my own.” He frowned. “Although, so far all I see is the two of you ganging up on me.”

“Of course. I told you before that women stick together when dealing with overbearing males. We need to help each other keep our identities and our sanity.”

Richie snorted. “You’re a Bongiovi. You don’t need any help.” She just grinned.

“Seriously though man, congratulations to you both.” Chris shook Richie’s hand and kissed Tori’s cheek. “I wish you the best.”

“Thanks Chris.” Tori hugged him.

No comments:

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.