Thursday, February 12, 2009

Chapter 224

The next few weeks flew by, and before Tori knew it Christmas was upon them. She’d worked hard to get everything ready, her only frustration was in not getting the redecorating done that she’d wanted to. Richie had refused to let any painting be done. He didn’t want her exposed to the fumes. She understood – and even agreed that the risk wasn’t worth it, but she was still disappointed that her plans had been put on hold. Little did she know that one of Richie’s gifts to her was to have workers come in and do it all while they were in New Jersey. Cathy would supervise and make sure that the environment was safe for Tori to return to.

Three days before Christmas they headed to Dr. Crandall’s office for Tori’s check up. She felt good, and hoped that the doctor would confirm her confidence that everything was continuing to go well.

“Tori, Richie. Merry Christmas.” Dr. Crandall greeted them as she entered the room.

“Merry Christmas.”

“How are you feeling Tori?”

“Great.”

“How’s the morning sickness?” She wrapped the blood pressure cuff around Tori’s arm.

“Better. I’ve only thrown up twice within the last week.” Her reprieve at Thanksgiving had proven short lived, but the nausea had eased a lot.

Dr. Crandall looked at Richie, a twinkle in her eyes. “How are the hormones?”

He didn’t even blink. “Not too bad at all. She’s handling the swings really well.”

Both women snorted. The doctor patted his shoulder. “Good answer.”

He grinned. “Well, my mother didn’t raise no fool, and I like all my parts just where they are.” That earned him an ‘I’ll remember that’ look from his wife.

The doctor turned back to Tori and gestured to the examining table. “Okay Tori, hop up and let’s have a look see at Baby Sambora.”

Richie helped her up onto the table, then settled at her side, positioning himself for a good view of the ultrasound screen. Tori shook her head at him. He raised a brow. “What?”

“Do you want pom poms or maybe a big foam finger?”

He took her hand, leaned over and kissed her gently. “I don’t need any help showing my joy and excitement over this.”

Tori’s eyes filled with tears. Even Dr. Crandall was blinking rapidly. “He’s good.”

Tori nodded. “Very good.” She squeezed his hand and reached up for another kiss.

“This will feel cold.” Dr. Crandall warned her just before squirting gel over her stomach. “Alright. Let’s see what we’ve got here.” She was silent for several moments as she moved the wand around. “Ah, there we are.”

Tori’s breath caught in her throat and her hand tightened on Richie’s as she stared at the image of their baby shown clearly on the screen – not just the blob the last ultrasound had shown. He squeezed back and kissed her temple.

“Everything looks good. There’s the heart beating good and strong. Growth and development is well within normal parameters. Now, let’s see baby’s most photogenic side. I think…there.” There was an audible click. “Okay, now I just need the usual blood and urine samples and we’ll be all done for today.” She looked at Tori. “Have you told anyone yet?”

Tori shook her head. “No. Considering the risks, I wanted to be sure everything was okay first.”

The doctor nodded. “I understand, and while there is still the possibility of complications – there is with any pregnancy, I think it’s safe to share the news now.”

“Thank you.”

As they were preparing to leave the nurse handed them what looked like Polaroid pictures. “Baby’s first pictures.” She explained with a grin.

Tori stared at them all the way home. Richie grinned at her. She knew exactly what she wanted to do with them, but she wasn’t ready to let them out of her sight yet. He sat beside her on the couch, slid his arm around her shoulders leaned close and traced the outline of a tiny leg with a fingertip.

“That’s our baby.” Her voice quivered.

“Yes. It is.”

She leaned her head against him and let the tears flow. He held her close and tightened his grip on his own emotions.


Christmas morning dawned bright and sunny. Tori laid in bed enjoying the quiet, lazy start to the day. This was the first Christmas in many years where she hadn’t been surrounded by family from the moment she woke up. She smiled and touched her stomach when she realized that it was also the last time it would happen for many years. Ava wouldn’t be coming until after dinner, so it was just the two of them for the day.

“Merry Christmas angel.” His warm breath caressed her ear as he moved in close behind her and wrapped his arms around her.

“Merry Christmas Rich.” She turned her head towards him.

He lifted his slightly and kissed her. “Mmmm. Do you know one of the things that I like best about this pregnancy?”

“I can think of one or two, but what are you thinking of?”

He chuckled. “Besides that! I like that it’s slowed you down a little and made you a little lazy so that I get to wake up with you.”

She rolled to face him and burrowed into his warmth. “I like that too.”

A finger under her chin lifted her face to his. He bent and kissed her again, gently, but thoroughly. Her stomach growled. He leaned back and grinned. “So I guess it’s either throw up or eat up?”

“Apparently. And I have to say that I prefer my food going down.” She started to throw back the covers.

He stopped her. “You stay here. I’ll go get breakfast and bring it up here.”

“Breakfast in bed? Mmmm, that sounds decadent. You’re going to spoil me.”

“I’m trying.” He pulled on a robe and made it to the door before she stopped him.

“Oh, don’t forget the….”

He finished her sentence before she could. “Maple syrup. I know.”

With a grin she settled back onto the pillows to relax and enjoy being pampered by her husband.


Their day was indeed peaceful and relaxing. Breakfast was followed by a leisurely bath which they shared and which included even more leisurely lovemaking. When they had the energy to move again Tori packed their bags for their trip to Canada the next day and hoped that Heather remembered to pack Ava some sweaters. Then they cuddled on the couch and watched a movie. After that Richie made dinner while Tori watched.

“If this is my Christmas present, I love it and thank you.” They’d agreed to wait to open their presents until Ava joined them.

“No, this is not your present. I’m sorry I haven’t done this for you more. You’ve been through a lot of crap lately because of me, and then all the joys of the first trimester on top of that. I want to pamper you a little bit. I can’t help you carry the baby, but I can help take care of you.” When she didn’t respond immediately he glanced up from chopping vegetables to see tears running down her face and her bottom lip quivering. He set aside the knife, wiped his hands, walked around the counter and took her in his arms.

“I…I love you so much!” She sobbed into his shirt. Her arms slid around his waist and gripped tight.

“Sssh, sweetheart. I love you too.” He stroked her hair.


“Daddy, Tori! Merry Christmas!” Ava yelled as she came through the door.

“Merry Christmas Bean!” Tori had to grab the doorframe to keep from falling when her stepdaughter flew at her for a hug.

“Hey! Take it easy Ava, don’t knock her over!” Richie rushed forward to brace them both.

“It’s okay. I’m alright.” Tori gave him a warning glance.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you.” Ava frowned in concern.

“You didn’t sweetie, I’m fine. Come on, let’s go open presents!”

The next hour was filled with the sounds of ripping paper, ooohs and ‘thank yous’, and several squeals of appreciation. Finally, Richie raised a brow at Tori and she nodded.

“Here’s another one for you Bean.” He handed her a small square, almost flat package.

Tearing off the paper, she stared at the strange looking pictures. “What’s this?”

“Come here, and we’ll explain.” Richie patted the cushion between he and Tori on the couch.

When she’d settled, Tori took a deep breath and pointed to the figure in the photo. “That is your little brother or sister.”

They quickly found out that Richie had been right about the need for earplugs. Her scream echoed through the whole house. “REALLY? I’M GOING TO HAVE A BROTHER OR SISTER?” She looked to her father for confirmation. He grinned and nodded. She turned to Tori. “YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE A BABY?” Tori nodded. Ava looked at the pictures again, then screamed again and hugged them both. Hard. “Thank you, thank you, thank you!” She studied the pictures again. “He looks really small.”

“He?” Richie asked sending an amused glance Tori’s way. “So you think it’s a boy?” Ava shrugged.

“Well, he – or she - has got a lot of growing to do yet before being born. At this point the baby’s only about this big.” She held her fingers about three and a half inches apart.

“Like a big peanut.”

Tori chuckled. “Yeah, pretty close.”

Ava looked at the pictures again, then at Tori’s stomach. “Can I see?”

“Sure, but there’s nothing really to see yet.” Tori lifted up her shirt, baring her stomach.

Ava put her hand gently on the warm skin. Then she leaned down and kissed it. “Hi peanut. I’m your big sister.”

Tori looked at Richie, her eyes once again filled with tears. He had to blink away his own as he reached out and gripped her hand.


After they got everything cleaned up, Ava picked up the Mamma Mia DVD they’d given her. “Can we watch this now?”

Tori glanced at Richie, who shrugged. “Sure Bean.” Little did he know there was a sing-along version. He watched his wife in disbelief as she danced and sang along with Ava.

Seeing him shaking his head, and hearing the intro of the next song, Tori smirked and headed towards him. Throughout the song she danced around him, rubbing her hands over his shoulders and chest, raking her fingers through his hair.


Half past twelve
And I'm watching the late show in my flat all alone
How I hate to spend the evening on my own
Autumn winds
Blowing outside my window as I look around the room
And it makes me so depressed to see the gloom
There's not a soul out there
No one to hear my prayer

Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Won't somebody help me chase the shadows away
Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Take me through the darkness to the break of the day

Movie stars
Find the end of the rainbow, with a fortune to win
It's so different from the world I'm living in
Tired of T.V.
I open the window and I gaze into the night
But there's nothing there to see, no one in sight
There's not a soul out there
No one to hear my prayer

Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Won't somebody help me chase the shadows away
Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Take me through the darkness to the break of the day

Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight...Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight...There's not a soul out there
No one to hear my prayer

Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Won't somebody help me chase the shadows away
Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Take me through the darkness to the break of the day
Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Won't somebody help me chase the shadows away
Gimme gimme gimme a man after midnight
Take me through the darkness to the break of the day


He pulled her into his lap. “You’re crazy.”

“That’s why you love me. I fit right into this family.” She leaned in to kiss him.

“Yeah, it helps to be a little crazy to deal with Daddy. But we love him anyway.” Ava agreed.

Richie frowned. “Ganging up on me again! Maybe I should start hoping for a boy just to even things out a bit.”

1 comment:

JohnnaJovi said...

I am so loving this story and I hope it continues to get better and better. I am so excited for the whole entire family!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.