Thursday, December 25, 2008

Chapter 207

“Okay Tori spill.”

“Spill what?” Tori had arrived in time to say goodnight to Jake and Romeo, had visited a bit with Jesse and Steph before they headed off to their rooms, and had just settled into the den with Jon and Dorothea when Jon threw his demand at her.

“Whatever’s going on with you and Richie.”

Tori hesitated, then shrugged. “We’re just still adjusting living with each other. We’ll work it out.”

Jon look sceptical. “ Uh huh. You might as well go ahead and tell me. Dot will just tell me later.”

His wife raised a brow at him. “Not necessarily.”

Tori gave him what she hoped was a reasurring smile. “Seriously. We’ll be fine.” His look said he wasn’t buying it. “Jon, let it go. I appreciate that you want to help me, but this is between Richie and me. I can’t come running to you everytime he and I have a disagreement.”

Jon knew she was right. That didn’t mean he had to like it. He grunted. “Well, you know where I am if you need me.”

This time her smile was real and natural. They certainly had come a long way. “Yes I do, and I love you for it. Thank you.”



Two days later, Dorothea went looking for her sister-in-law after dinner. Checking the main floor she came across her two oldest in the theatre. “Have you guys seen Aunt Tori?”

Jesse shrugged. “She was on the phone with Uncle Richie a little while ago.”

Steph shook her head. “No, she went outside after that.” Her eyes met her mother’s. “She looked upset.”

Dorothea frowned and headed out the back door. She had a pretty good idea where she’d gone. When she neared the bench by the river she discovered she was right. Taking a seat at the other end of the bench she glanced at Tori, noting the wet tracks of her tears shining silver in the moonlight.

“Do you want to talk about it?” She saw Tori’s hesitation. “I promise not tell Jon if you don’t want me to.”

Tori sighed. “I…I don’t know what to do Dot. I’ve tried to be understanding. I even pushed to cut my honeymoon short to be here for Ava.” She snorted. “Look at me. Not even married two weeks and not only is my honeymoon over before it should have been, but I’m afraid that my marriage may be too.” The tears overflowed again.

“Heather?” Dorothea guessed.

Tori nodded. “She calls and he goes running over there. Every day. He tells me to stay home. He doesn’t want to embarrass her by making her face me when she’s in this condition. When I ask why he needs to go he says that her doctor says that she needs to talk through her issues and that she needs someone who’s been there and that a lot of her problems go back to when they were together so she needs him there. He says that she’s his daughter’s mother and he can’t sit by an watch her fall apart without trying to help.”

“How is Ava?”

Tori shrugged. “I haven’t been allowed to see her. Richie’s says she’s okay, but what kind of environment is that for a young girl? How can being exposed to her mother in that condition day after day be healthy for her?” Her hands clenched into fists in her lap. “I get that Heather’s hurting, and I feel bad for her – and Ava – I do, but….I’m tired of being understanding. I’m tired of taking second place in my husband’s life to his ex-wife. Shouldn’t he want to spend his time with me? Why are her feelings more important to him than mine?” She couldn’t hold back the sobs any longer.

Dorothea moved closer and wrapped her arms around her. If she could get her hands on her brother-in-law right now she’d happily strangle him! This is what she’d been afraid of ever since Heather’s stint in the hospital, but she’d hoped that after everything that Heather had put him through he’d be smart enough not to get sucked in by her again. Obviously he still had a blind spot where Heather was concerned. She just hoped Tori wasn’t going to have to pay the price for his blindness. What the hell is he thinking? “Do you want my advice?”

Tori raised tear reddened eyes to hers and nodded. “I’m at the end of my rope. I don’t know what to do. I love him and I don’t want to lose him, but I can’t live like this!”

“Then fight. If you want him you’re going to have to fight for him, and, knowing Heather, you’re going to have to fight dirty. It’s the only way she knows. I’m thinking that there’s a very good chance that the whole DUI thing was done on purpose – not as any attempt at hurting herself, but rather for publicity and to disrupt your trip. She’s jerked his leash and brought him to heel. Now she’s showing you that she’s in control, that even though he married you, she still takes priority. And he’s letting her. You need to sit down with him and tell him how his actions are affecting you. And be firm. Don’t let him get away with this ‘she needs someone who’s been there’ and it’s about things that happened when they were together bullshit. She’s getting professional help. She’s got Jack for moral support. She doesn’t need Richie.”

“That’s what I told him.”

“What did he say?”

“He just asked me to try to understand.” The tears started again. She couldn’t seem to stop them. “But I don’t. I don’t understand why he’s choosing her over me. He promised me that I was the one he wanted to be with. I thought he loved me!”

“He does. He’s just….” Dorothea sighed. “Well, honestly I don’t know what he’s thinking. But you need to find out. Then….what was it the flight attendant called it…go Bongiovi on his ass?”

Tori had to smile at that. She’d told them a little bit about the trip to Hawaii. She sobered. “Thanks Dot. Please don’t say anything to Jon. I don’t want to be the cause of any trouble between them.”

“I won’t…as long as you stop letting Heather get away with this and fight back.” She frowned. “And I think you’re right about Ava. It would be better if she was with you.” She shivered slightly in the October night air. “It’s getting colder. Are you ready to come inside?”

Tori shook her head. “Not just yet. I won’t be long though.”

Dorothea nodded and squeezed her shoulder before rising and heading for the house. When she stepped through the back door she found Jon standing by the window, a cup of coffee in his hand, his knuckles white on the handle as he watched his sister.

“What’s going on?”

Dorothea sighed. “She’ll be alright. She just needed someone to talk to – who would help her figure things out, not try to fix it for her.” At Jon’s stubborn look she continued. “Jon, you can’t help her this time. It’s between them. They’ve got to work it out themselves.”

“And if they can’t?”

“Then we’ll be here for her to lean on and help her any way we can.” Dorothea’s eyes narrowed. “After I kick Richie’s ass of course.”

Jon’s lips twisted. “I thought you only used your skills in self defence?”

She shrugged. “Self defence, defending my family, same thing.”

He leaned over and kissed her. “My avenging warrior.” He glanced out the window again. “Don’t let her stay out there too long. It’s getting cold.”

Dorothea smiled sympathetically. She knew how hard it was for him to sit by and watch someone he loved hurting and not do something about it. “Yes Daddy.”

No comments:

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.