Monday, December 22, 2008

Chapter 206

The next day when Richie once again went running at Heather’s call, leaving Tori at home, she sighed and headed for the office. If her honeymoon was over she might as well get to work. She booted up the computer, opened her email and stared. Apparently Jon had put out the word that she was officially on board and everyone had something that needed her urgent attention. Taking a sip of the cup of coffee she’d brought with her, she settled in and set to work. She was still at it when Richie came looking for her for dinner.

“Whatcha doing?” He walked up behind her, set his hands on her shoulders and massaged gently.

“Working. BJM is trying to come up with some new merchandise for Christmas and apparently Jon has told the team that I have to sign off on everything. I’m being bombarded.”

He chuckled. “Welcome to working for your brother. I warned you that once he accepted you fully as part of the family he’d probably drive you crazy. Although since you’re as much of an anal retentive perfectionist control freak as he is, you’ll probably get along just fine. Oof!” He rubbed his stomach where her elbow collided as she stood up. He grinned at her withering look and followed her to the kitchen.

After dinner they settled in the livingroom to veg in front of the T.V. She hesitated, then bit the bullet. “How’s Heather?”

He sighed. “Struggling.”

“What does her doctor say?”

“That talking through her feelings is the best therapy…..and he’s monitoring her meds.”

“Sounds like he’s not convinced the episode the other day was an accident.”

“Mmmhmmm. I get the feeling Jack isn’t sure either. Makes you wonder doesn’t it?”

“Hopping on the bandwagon for publicity?”

He shrugged. “Could be. Her pain seems real though.”

She frowned. “Maybe you should bring Ava here.”

“I couldn’t do that to Heather.”

“And what about Ava?”

“She’s okay. I check in with her before I leave.”

Tori started to say something, then decided not to push the issue. She didn’t like the idea of Ava having to deal with her mother’s battling emotions, but it wasn’t her call.


Her days settled into a routine, but as Richie continued to spend hours every day with Heather, Tori buried herself –and her emotions- in work. She spent hours on the phone to New Jersey, answering e-mails, researching items and prices online, and even making a couple trips to the warehouse in Van Nuys. She was working late into the evening, but since she wasn’t sleeping much anyway, it gave her something to do. By the weekend, she’d made a decision. When Richie came to get her for dinner, she took a deep breath and told him about her plan.

“I’m going to Jersey for a few days next week. I need to meet with the team, sign off on some contracts and see some of this stuff in person. Pictures don’t tell me about the material and how it feels. I’ll be back for Ava’s birthday.”

He frowned. “But we’re still on our…” He cut himself off.

She snorted and snapped. “If we were still on our honeymoon, we’d be in paradise practising different ways of breaking me and keeping Kiki busy instead of sitting here.” She sighed and raised an apologetic hand. “Sorry, I know it’s not your fault.”

His lips twisted and his gaze turned into a hopeful leer. “You know, we don’t have to be in Hawaii to practice different ways of breaking you. I’m beginning to feel like a monk.” He was trying to make her laugh, but he was also serious. She was trying to hide it, but he knew she was having a problem with all the time he was spending with Heather. A tension was growing between them. They hadn’t made love since they’d come home. The first few days she was recovering, but the last few…well she’d made it clear she wasn’t interested. She either went to bed early and was asleep by the time he got there, or worked late into the night, ensuring that he was asleep before she came to bed. And of course she was gone when he woke up.

She gave him a disgusted look. She’d tried to be understanding and take the high road, but her patience was at an end. “I’m sorry that watching my husband leave everyday to go spend hours with his ex-wife, leaving me at home, during what was supposed to be our honeymoon, doesn’t put me in the mood!”

He sighed and raked a hand through his hair. “What do you want me to say?”

She studied him for a moment. He said he didn’t want her to hide her feelings from him. She was about to put that to the test. “For starters you can explain why her problem is our problem. Why do you have to go running everytime she calls?”

“I told you. She just wants to talk to someone who’s been there.”

“And you’re the only one she knows?” She snorted. “This town is one big group therapy class! I don’t recall her running to help you when you needed it, so why do you have to be her security blanket? I thought that was supposed to be Jack’s job.”

“I know her better than he does, and a lot of her issues go back to when we were together. She just wants to talk things through with me.”

“And what about all those weeks this summer? I thought that was what you were doing then.”

“We were. This is a continuation.” He gave her a frustrated look. “She’s Ava’s mother. I have to try to help her. Besides, you’re working most of the day anyway.”

She glared at him. “Don’t! The only reason I’m working now is because I got tired of sitting here alone. And if you’re so concerned about Ava, you should bring her here. I’m not sure that’s a healthy environment for a young girl anyway. She doesn’t need to face that everyday.” She fought back tears. “I get that she’s hurting and needs help. I do. I accepted that we had to come home early to be here for her and Ava. But she has professional help. People who are trained to help her. She has Jack. She doesn’t need to monopolize my husband’s time as well!”

“I’m sorry. Baby, please try to understand. I can’t just stand by and watch my daughter’s mother fall apart without at least trying to help.”

Tori sighed and gave up. For now. “You’re an amazing man Rich. To be there for her after everything she put you through…..not many could do that.” She glanced at the computer screen were her travel schedule showed. “I’m leaving Sunday morning and I’ll be back Friday night.”

Richie met her gaze for a long minute, then nodded. “I’ll drive you to the airport.”


After dinner she made a call to New Jersey. While she waited for someone to answer she debated how much to say.

“Hello?”

“Dorothea. Hi.”

“Hi Tori. What’s up? I understand you had to cut your trip short.”

“Yeah. Ava was pretty upset when she called to tell us what happened so we thought we needed to come back.”

“Poor little thing. How is she?”

“Fine I guess. I haven’t seen her but Richie says she’s okay.”

Dorothea frowned. “You mean she’s not with you?”

“No. Heather begged Richie not to take her away, and since she let Ava stay after his episode, he felt it was only fair. But that’s not why I’m calling.” She didn’t want to talk about her domestic situation over the phone. “I’m coming to Jersey next week for some meetings with the team. Apparently I have to sign off on all the new merchandise, and I can only do so much by phone and e-mail. Matt wants me to look at some stuff for the fan club too. Since they want to have it for Christmas, I’m on a short clock.”

Dorothea chuckled. “Yeah Jon told me he’d put you in charge. I’m betting he didn’t tell you though did he?”

“No he didn’t. I went to check my e-mail a few days ago and found forty frantic messages. I finally had to call Paul to figure out what was going on.”

“Well, he likes to have family in charge where possible. This was one area that he always had to entrust to someone else, and he was never really comfortable with that. He was thrilled when you agreed to join the team.”

Tori sighed. “A little warning would have been nice.”

“You should now better by now.” Dorothea reminded her. “So when are you coming in?”

“Sunday night until Friday morning.”

“Is the room you had last time alright or do you guys want the guest house?”

“The main house is fine. It’s just me. But you don’t have to put me up.”

“Of course we do. You’re family.” Dorothea hesitated. “Richie’s not coming with you?”

“No. He needs to stay here for Heather and Ava.”

Dorothea’s brows rose. “What time is your flight due in?”

“About nine pm your time.”

“Ok. Someone will pick you up.”

“Thanks Dot. I’ll see you then.”

Dorothea hung up the phone and looked at her husband. Her expression had him sitting up straighter. “What’s wrong?”

“I’m not sure. Tori’s coming in for meetings with the merchandizing team.”

Jon nodded. “Yeah, and?”

“And…Richie’s not coming with her. She said that he needed to stay in L.A. for Heather and Ava.”

“Considering everything Ava’s been through that doesn’t surprise me. What’s got you worried?”

“Ava isn’t staying with Richie and Tori. Rich left her at Heather’s and Tori hasn’t even seen her.”

Jon frowned. “That’s a little strange.”

“Mmmhmm. Tori tried to gloss over the situation, but I could sense that something’s not right.”

“When’s she coming?”

“Sunday night.”

“I guess we’ll find out then.”

No comments:

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.