Monday, January 5, 2009

Chapter 211

Tori walked into the living room with a plate of freshly baked cookies. She’d heard the phone ring a few minutes ago and Richie was still talking when she entered the room. From his side of the conversation – and his tone and body language – she could tell it was Heather. She frowned as she heard him agree to go over there. Well if he thinks he’s going to leave me home this time, he’d better think again! Step 2: assess the opposition.

Richie hung up the phone and eyed his wife warily as she set the plate of cookies on the table in front of him. “Thanks angel.” He hesitated. “Heather wants to see me this afternoon.” He braced himself for her reaction.

Tori stared at him for a minute. “I’m going with you.” She held up a hand when he would have protested. “No. I’m a member of this family and she and I have to deal with each other. If you’re still worried about her having to face me after what happened….well millions of people all over the world have seen her mug shot. I’m the least of her problems. Besides, I haven’t seen Bean since the we dropped her off on our way to Hawaii. If you won’t bring her here, then I’ll go there.” Her look dared him to argue.

He studied her determined expression and knew if he tried to argue he’d be dealing with a Bongiovi in full temper. He was no fool. Besides, she was right. He sighed and nodded. He just hoped he didn’t have to play referee.

Tori was quiet on the drive to Heather’s. She stared out the window, deep in thought. A little kernel of an idea had popped into her mind and she was letting it develop into a full blown plan. If she was right about Heather, this would prove it…at least to Richie.

When they pulled to a stop in front of the door, she turned to her husband. “Will you do one thing for me?”

“I’ll do anything for you angel. What do you need?”

“Don’t let her ruin Ava’s day. The arrangements have been made at the restaurant, her friends will all be there, your mother’s coming in….this is how she wanted to celebrate her birthday….don’t let Heather try to ruin it.”

“You’re really convinced she’s playing games aren’t you?”

“Let’s just say I have a pretty strong hunch.”

“Daddy! Tori!” Ava came running out to meet them.

“There’s the birthday girl! How are you Bean?” Tori climbed out and hugged her step-daughter tightly. “Oooh, I’ve missed you!”

“I’m okay. I’ve missed you too. How come you didn’t come to see me?”

The shadows in the dark eyes so like her father’s nearly broke Tori’s heart. The look she gave Richie had him squirming uncomfortably. Yet another way he’d hurt her – both of them actually – without meaning to. He sighed heavily. So much for good intentions.

Tori covered for him. “Daddy and I thought that Mommy needed you. Do you remember last March and Daddy’s…” She hesitated, not sure how to word it.

“Act of stupidity?” Ava supplied.

Tori bit her lip against a smile and almost lost the battle when she glanced at Richie to see him staring at his daughter, a chagrined look on his face. “Yes, well when that happened Mommy let you stay with him to help him right?” Ava nodded. “So we thought it was only fair that we let you stay and help her.”

“But why didn’t you come here with Daddy to see me?”

“Well, we thought it best to wait until Mommy was feeling better.”

“But you’re here now and she’s not feeling better.” Ava frowned. “She doesn’t even get out of bed most days.”

“Of course I’m here today. It’s your birthday! I wouldn’t miss that for the world!” Tori assured her.

Ava’s face lit up. “So you’re coming to the Village with us tonight then? Oh, I can hardly wait! Nana’s coming and all my friends, and they have the best food, and the most wonderful cake, and it’s going to be so much fun!”

Tori smiled at the young girl’s excitement which just reinforced her determination to make sure that nothing spoil the party.

They found Jack inside, sitting in the living room watching T.V. He looked up when they walked in. “Hi. Heather’s upstairs.” He lowered his voice and muttered. “As usual.”

“Thanks.” Richie replied, glanced at Tori, and headed upstairs.

Tori sat on a couch. Ava sat beside her. “How are you Jack?”

“I’m good. How was the honeymoon?”

“Great while it lasted. Hawaii was beautiful.”

“Yeah, I’ve been there a couple times. It truly is paradise.”

“What did you do? Did you take pictures? Did you bring me anything?” Ava’s questions came fast and furious.

Tori chuckled. “You’ll just have to wait until the party tonight to find out.”

For the next hour, they talked about Hawaii, Tori’s new job, and Jack’s upcoming projects. When Julie came in to tell Ava that Kate was on the phone wanting to discuss what they were wearing to the party, Tori waited until she had left the room, then turned to Jack. “How is she really?”

He shrugged. “Some days better than others. Sometimes she seems to be almost her old self, talking about going to some event and then suddenly she relapses and can’t get out of bed.”

“Is that when she calls Richie?”

His lips twisted. “Generally, yeah.”

Tori considered him for a moment. “Do you remember what happened just before her last couple relapses?”

Jack frowned. “Well, this afternoon we were talking about Ava’s birthday party….Ava was excited that she was finally going to get to see you,... yesterday was just a bad day all round, and the day before…..she was fine until….oh, one of the entertainment news shows were talking about the year’s big rock tours, and mentioned Bon Jovi and showed pictures of them – and you.” Tori nodded. His eyes widened. “You think she’s faking don’t you?”

“I wouldn’t say faking exactly. I think she really is clinically depressed, I just think that she’s….exaggerating how sick she is in order to get attention.” She frowned. “Specifically, Richie’s attention. Not that she wants him necessarily, I think it’s more of a signal to me to show how much power she still has over him.”

Jack considered that for a few moments then nodded. “You may be right.”

She waved a hand towards the stairs. “I don’t know about you, but I’ve had about enough of these little tete-a-tete’s.”

Jack snorted. “I had enough about a week ago.”

She nodded. “Then it’s time to put an end to them.”

“I hope you have better luck than I’ve had.”

Her lips pressed tightly together. “Oh count on it.” With that she rose and headed upstairs. She found them in Heather’s room, Richie in a chair beside the bed where Heather was laying. “Hi. Sorry to interrupt, but Rich, we need to get going. You’re mother’s plane will be landing soon and you know how she hates waiting around the airport. Plus, she’ll want to have some time to rest before the big birthday party tonight. How are you feeling Heather?”

“Not too bad thanks. But I don’t think I’m up to going out tonight. I think we should cancel the party and just have a family dinner here.”

Tori caught Richie’s eye. He knew that look and that if he didn’t step up, he’d pay later. Damn! How did she know Heather would pull something like this? “No. Ava’s been looking forward to this for weeks. The arrangements are made, her friends will all be there, I think we should go ahead with it. This is her day, she should get to celebrate the way she wants.”

Tori smiled approvingly at her husband, then turned a considering glance on Heather and assumed a sympathetic expression. Step 3:Put plan into action. “I’ve been thinking. Maybe Ava should come and stay with us for awhile – just until you’re feeling better. I know how active she is, and that way it would be quieter around here for you and might help your recovery.”

Heather narrowed her eyes and almost sneered. “Are you threatening to take my daughter away from me?”

Tori raised her brows at her tone and replied with seeming innocence, except that anyone who knew her – or Jon for that matter – and saw her eyes, would recognize the icy fury and determination in the blue depths. “I’m not threatening anything. I’m just suggesting, that since you need to focus your attention on looking after yourself, that it might be better for Ava to be with a parent who is able to make her well being their priority. I know that Julie does a wonderful job looking after her, but I think you’ll agree, that even the most caring nanny is no replacement for a parent. I understand that you’re still finding it difficult to get out of bed most days. I just thought by us taking Ava that it would be one less thing for you to worry about and you can concentrate on your recovery.”

Richie managed to hide his surprise at Tori’s suggestion, but watched Heather’s reaction carefully. Tori was forcing her hand. Either she was well enough to get up and look after their daughter – and attend the party – or she was truly ill and Ava would be better with them and out of that environment. Very clever angel!

The two women stared at each other for long seconds in silent communication, Heather trying to intimidate, Tori refusing to back down. Finally Heather sighed. “Let me think about it.”

Tori nodded. Richie stood. “We’ll talk about it tonight. We’d better get going. I don’t want to keep Ma waiting.”

“See you later Heather.” Tori smiled, although it didn’t reach her eyes.

“Uh huh. Would you send Jack up please?”

“Sure.” Richie nodded as they left the room.

Outside, Richie opened her door for her. “Nice job of calling her bluff.”

Tori waited until he had rounded the front of the Hummer and climbed into the driver’s seat. “Who was bluffing? If she continues to play games, we will be visiting your lawyer and we will be suing for full custody. That beautiful child doesn’t deserve this bullshit!”

Richie smiled at how fiercely she protected his daughter. No doubt about it, she’s going to make a wonderful mother! “Yes dear.”

3 comments:

Nayeli said...

Yeah you come in and sneak a prezzie for us - new BR!!! You go Tori God I love this character you've created so well written - great job Liz.

Anonymous said...

Woooo, a new chapter. Please let them sue for custody, I'd love to read THAT conversation!

JohnnaJovi said...

Thumbs UP to Tori! I am really liking Tori and her plans to get Richie to see Heather's evil ways!

This is my nice little story turned epic with Richie in the starring role - although Jon plays a large part.